Duncan Phyfe Dining Table in progress
The last two days have been exhausting.
A LOT of progress has been made, but it's not the sexy kind of progress that is easy to show off.

The tapers underneath the table have been planed. This was done with a scrub, a #5, #7, and a scraper. This took a long time and my back hurts.

The edge looks much finer and more delicate. It's funny but the table feels lighter now. It looks it, but this is hard to express in pictures.

This is before for reference

I made the support pieces that will mount the stretchers above to the pedestals. They are plywood with edging. They will be attached to the stretchers with mortise/tenon. They are plywood so they won't move. And if you think the steel or the plywood are blasphemous then note that i used mdf for spline material.

These last two days have not felt very rewarding. I am exhausted, the shop is a disaster (shavings everywhere) and i just needed to stop today.

I put some alcohol on the edge to show it. The edge looks like it is on fire. That made me happy.

Need sleep....
-Wayne
Great work , and thanks for the pictures, I would have had trouble following the descriptions without the pictures.
Today FEELS like progress!!!

The last couple of discussions were about parts being made. Today you can see sub-assemblies as they go together.

My favorite thing about today is that I lost track of time.
I spent 6 hours in the shop today and i thought i spent about 2. That left me smiling. That may sound strange, but it tells me i am really enjoying my vacation.

One of the sides.

The supports mortised into the stretchers.

The center " leaf" will also serve as a separate unit or server. It will have it's own pedestal with 4 feet (the others have 3). It's just a smaller section.

Finally, the leg template held in place to get a feel for what they will look like. They will be connected via sliding dovetails on a curved surface. Oh, joy...

The hardware arrives late today. I need it before starting on the legs. I may be a couple of days before an update.
That's looking really good LT! Very nice build along also.

I'm not very familiar with the Duncan Phyfe style but feel quite sure that if I attempted to build something like that it would look more like the Barney Phyfe style!

Great work so far.

Frank
Frank
Speechless.
You is making good progress.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!
beginningwoodworker said:

What he said!
See ya later,
Bill
Bill_de said:

[blockquote]beginningwoodworker said:

What he said!

[/blockquote]

What he wrote!
Eric
(e)sanford, Curator of the Moo-Zee-Um of Unused Tools,and all around Spong(e)head

Never Forget
Lenny Taylor
8/20/57-9/11/01
Progress slowed over the last couple of days.

My planer is down as the bolt holding the main pulley snapped and the pulley galled on the key way. The head is at the machine shop to remove the remainder of the bolt and make sure the shaft is still good. A new pulley is already on its way. This took some time and basically halted me from doing the legs. A bit of lost motivation and a bit of lost capability. (realistically though i could get around using the planer on the legs)

Instead, I spent the time finishing up details on the underside. The *****-beading was made and applied to the underside of each batten (I've been calling these stretchers and was corrected yesterday). #8 brass screws hold these in place. The bolts are now gone from view. This was important to me.

The table was assembled to it's 11' variety. All 3 sections are together (there are still 2 leaves to be used if ever needed...go ahead laugh it is a funny statement).
The underpinnings are assembled. The tops will be left assembled for a while to allow the top to grow accustomed to how it will be.

For reference, this picture is taken with me standing OUTSIDE of the shop. Building a 14' table in a 20' shop is kind of crazy.

Closer image of the center section with the *****-beading applied over the batten. The color variation will be toned in the final finish.

I received the hardware the other day. The Hairy Paw Foot Casters shocked e by their size. I thought for sure they must be wrong.

But when I placed them on my template, they were just right. Size is relative.

Eventually I will need to come up with a way to have all leaves and sections together and flatten everything together. I will probably end up with a jig mode from some jointed 2x10x12s. That will be a neat picture having all that table top in the yard. Oh well, it will have to wait for another day.

-Wayne
Nice progress.
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter!