Brese Plane Kit, First Attempt
Blacky's Boy said:

I'd be inclined to stick with the walnut! It just looks so GOOD!

I know you mentioned giving it a coat of BLO, but could TruOil be used?

Perhaps I have to take those Walnut infills in the case that the others don´t succeed

The only concern on Tru-Oil I found so far is, that it deepens the colours of some woods not strong enough. So I went on the infills at first with one coat of BLO to deepen the colour. The further finishing shall be done with Tru-Oil.

Klaus
Thanks to all posters for your appreciated comments!

Klaus
Hmmm,...I didn't even think of darkening the walnut with BLO first BEFORE applying TruOil! I think I may need to try that out.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Klaus that's pretty much the way I accomplish infills as well,so my opinion is your doing great work.I see no problem with the height of the rear infill or changing the design a bit since more support for the iron won't hurt a darned thing and I like the shape better then a traditional tote.

The only adive I would give is let both infills set at room temperature for a time to see if they have any shrinkage. Truly well seasoned wood is a must and to be honest I have little experience with olive wood other then making a couple handles for chisels. Walnut I use a lot and well seaoned and air dried it shows little or no shrinkage especially quarter sawn. Either way I'd want to know before it went into a plane and some fruit woods I've used have proven less then ideal,hopefully olive is much more stable.

I'm sure either way it'll prove to a well performing plane and one that be a pleasure to use. Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET
LENPAM said:

The only adive I would give is let both infills set at room temperature for a time to see if they have any shrinkage. Truly well seasoned wood is a must and to be honest I have little experience with olive wood other then making a couple handles for chisels. Walnut I use a lot and well seaoned and air dried it shows little or no shrinkage especially quarter sawn. Either way I'd want to know before it went into a plane and some fruit woods I've used have proven less then ideal,hopefully olive is much more stable.

Thank you Len.

I haven´t much experience with olive wood neither. But I have some pieces laying around in my shop. The figured one I´ve bought well dried about 9 months ago. Since there it is laying in my shop so I guess it should be pretty good now to become something nice ... hm, to become an infill for a plane.

When Ron posted his Olive wood infilled plane a few months ago, I was breathless. To my eyes this timber is one of the most exciting ones you can find to be used for tools.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...6633&Forum=,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=4&Limit=25&Main=5066442&Search=true&where=&Name=76018&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post5066633

Klaus
Lovely work Klaus. I look forward to seeing the completed plane taking some shavings.
all the best
Kevin
Really nice Klaus, makes me want to go out and buy a kit too. Love the walnut.
One of these days I WILL have a Brese plane kit. I WILL, I WILL, I WILL I tell you. I used one of his SS smoothers at a LN event and was in awe. Good stuff.
The older I get the faster I was.
Bibliophile 13 said:

What, no shavings?!?

Steve,

today I honed the soles of the plane and of the blade. It went very good and fast. That deserves another compliment to Ron. The plane body and the blade are so flat out of the box, that the honing is done within a few minutes.

After having done that, I had to assemble the plane immediately. Was too curious how it performs

Now, what shall I say, to my taste it couldn´t work better. Not only that it makes nice thin shavings, it´s very easy to push. Truly enjoyable.

Here 2 pics of shavings of white oak and walnut.

I´m pleased with this result for sure.

Now I´ve to begin to work on the olive wood infills. I´ll keep you updated.

Regards
Klaus
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too made a walnut smoother with a very similar shaped rear infill. The photo was done before the final finishing, so it's a bit rough looking here, but you get the idea.

-w