Brese Plane Kit, First Attempt
Wow, I guess Klaus has pretty good design instincts if his infill and Mr. Anderson's are so similar. They say "great minds think alike!"
Wow, Klaus, that is beautiful work!

Just curious: Are the screws holding the body countersunk or will they always project out of the side body?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Now you're talking, Klaus! Lovely shavings.

@ Wayne: that may be rough work by your standards, but it's still way above what I could do. I really like the look of that infill.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
wayne anderson said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too made a walnut smoother with a very similar shaped rear infill. The photo was done before the final finishing, so it's a bit rough looking here, but you get the idea.

-w

Wayne,

there is no high jacking at all! I think that your rear infill is shaped just about perfect. The skew top of the rear infill will allow the palm to rest flat. Then it makes sense to have a guard to avoid that the hand will meet the blade.

In the case of Ron Brese´s design it makes to my eyes no sense, as I know now. The rear infill is horizontally, so the area between thumb and index finger will not meet the place of this hump.

But I could imagine that your plane is very very comfortable!

Regards
Klaus
AHill said:

Just curious: Are the screws holding the body countersunk or will they always project out of the side body?

Hi Allan,

please ignore the screws! They are just temporary as long as the infills are not definitely inserted. The final infills will get screws which will be filed flat to the body.

Regards
Klaus
JerrySats said:

Out of curiosity when your finished shaping the olive wood infill , how about weighting the woods and compare which is heavier .

Hi Jerry,

now I´m able to answer your question. The plane with Walnut infills weighs 1335 grams, the Olive infilled weighs 1376 grams. The difference is only about 40 grams.

Klaus
Hi Klaus
Thanks for weighting them , not all that much heavier but I'm sure it will help some . The conversion is about a 1.5 oz difference .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
I should just print this thread...

Bump for posterity
Peter

My "day job"
German precision!!! It just doesn't get any better!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bump for posterity
Peter

My "day job"