Rocking Chair Build-A-Long Thread using Hal Taylor Plans (Pic Heavy)
As you may recall, I built a rocking chair for my father-in-law and gave it to him last year for his retirement and said that my next big project was a Hal Taylor inspired rocking chair. Well, the time has come that I really need to make some progress on the new rocking chair if there is any hope for me to get it finished by June and surprise my wife with it on our 10th wedding anniversary. Therefore, I have decided to do this build along thread to keep me motivated, to keep me on track, and to keep me accountable!

After deciding that this was the project I wanted to tackle, I ordered the plans and the DVD’s and anxiously awaited their arrival. Within the first 3 or 4 days after receiving them, I read through the plans and watched all three DVD’s (about 10 hours worth of videos). I also did some research online and tried to formulate my game plan. I made several of the recommended and/or required jigs and thought I was off to a pretty good start. I started all of this in May of last year, giving myself over a year to get this finished. Well, as usual, other projects, events, and activities popped up (including a full bathroom remodel that took up most of December and January), so the rocking chair project was put on hold….until now. Since I recently finished another project that lingered around for way too long (rocking motorcycle), it’s now time to focus on the rocking chair.

I ordered the full-sized templates and the BBHT (back brace hole template) a few weeks ago and am acquiring the necessary/recommended tools. I purchased the Kutzall grinding disc and got it in the mail a couple of days ago, received the Makita grinder yesterday, and got the rabbeting bit today. I know there are a few other items I’ll need, but I’m trying to purchase them only when I am ready for them and therefore going a little easier on my tool fund….which is almost non-existent at this time.

To add a little bit of sentimental value to the chair, I am building it out of some spalted maple that came from a tree that was in our yard. The tree, unfortunately, had to be removed when we had some septic work done and I couldn’t bear to have it cut up into fire wood. Though it wasn’t an ideal tree/log to have milled, I found a local guy with a woomizer and kiln that was able to cut and dry it for a pretty reasonable rate. While it took him a while to finally get the logs milled and dried, it actually turned out good for me because the wood has some really nice spalting throughout, but is still very solid.

Below are some pictures of the jigs, fixtures, templates, and chair parts I have made as of March 1, 2011. I will try my best to keep this thread updated and the project moving along, but I may need some friendly persuasion and reminders along the way!

Thanks,

-jason

First up are the templates, jigs, and fixtures!

[b]Rocker bending form: 2 pieces of 1 1/8” thick MDF glued together, cut, shaped, and sanded, still need to drill the holes and attach the angle iron/aluminum.

Back brace form: 2 pieces of 1 1/8” thick MDF glued together, cut, shaped, still need to drill the holes and attach the angle iron/aluminum.

Front leg notch routing fixture:

Head rest angle jointing jig (4 degree): I added a little block to the back of this to help in “pushing” the piece through the jointer, it’s shown in the pictures below.

Arm Rest Shaping fixture:

Arm rest template: ¾” MDF

Rocker tail and Front Leg templates: ¾” MDF

Six degree Jig for cutting the seat pad on the back leg and for trimming the headrest to fit

The following are the parts of the rocking chair I have worked on so far…

Seat – two piece glue up, front and rear leg notches cut out, back brace holes drawn in

Head rest – six pieces cut to size and glued up

Arm blanks: Cut to rough size, but not shape

The last few pictures are a couple of bookmatched pieces of 8/4 spalted maple lumber that I am planning on using for the back slats and possibly the front and back legs.

Great project!! I've made 3 Hal Taylor chairs, and enjoyed making all of them.

I have a concern about spalted wood for the back slats. After thin rippin them, they may not be that strong. I would like to see how that works out.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
You're off to a great start on the Hal Taylor rocker. I've made two of them and the second one was done in half the time since I already had the jigs, fixtures and bending forms made.

Be aware that even sound,spalted wood may have lost up to 50% of it's dry wood strength. I'd be hesitant to use it on the legs.

It might be okay on the back slats if you incorporate a layer of Ash in the center of the bent lam. The Ash should lend it enough strength.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
I'm watching intently...I also bought plans form Hal Taylor and am getting ready to start a build myself...hopefully this spring.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Awesome project.
You're off to a great start.
Keep the pics coming.

And don't forget about that deadline
Looking forward to following this build. Making a Maloof style rocker has always intrigued me and it's on my want to build list.
You've definitely got your stuff together. You've probably got as many hours into making the jigs as you will in the piece. I can't wait to follow along!
Excited to see this project, and thanks for all the pictures. I too am planning a Hal Taylor rocker hopefully later this year so I will be following with great interest.
Keep the pics and commentary coming.
Bob
I'll be reading with a lot of interest. I got to the point of cutting out the templates when I had to stop work on it to retire, sell Maryland house, set up houses in Canada and Florida and set up my shop again in Canada. The earliest I can hope to get back to the project is the middle of the summer but I am counting the days. Thanks for keeping us informed. Ken
Alright, looks like there are going to be some people watching this thread, so I have to stay on task and keep making progress on the rocker!

Super Glide and Pink Floyd,

Thanks for the info/advice on the spalted maple, I will definitely rethink the use of that for the legs. I will probably make up one back slat with it to see if I think it will be strong enough. If it is I will proceed with the rest, if I don't think it will work then I'll have to dig through the stack and find some pieces that match the headrest and seat. Good thing I have a fair amount of that 8/4 maple. And, since you both have made rocking chairs I hope you don't mind if I ask for your advice during my build, I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

To the rest that have posted, I'm glad you're planning on following this thread, I think it's the accountability I'm going to need to push me through to completion.

Ken,

I was hoping you would chime in here, I was going to ask if you had started your rocker and what kind of progress you had made on it. Bet you can't wait to get back in the shop, huh? Please post pics of your chair once you get back to working on it.

Thanks again, if you have any tips, tricks, advice, or constructive criticism as this progresses, please post here so we can all learn something new.

-jason

P.S. No real update on the chair at this time, I will hopefully get some time in the shop tomorrow and Saturday, so I should have something new to post by Sunday