Best Wooden Planes Reference?
I'm considering buying "A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes" by Martyl Pollack, but I noticed that the most recent publication of it is 2001.

Is there any more recent or better reference that details the maker, rarity and value of wooden planes? It doesn't have to only cover American planes.

Thanks!

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
What a timely post. I'm looking for just such a guide myself.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
You stalking me???

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
The latest version of American Wooden Planes is 4th edition which was published in 2001. It is still in print and available through Amazon. It was revised by Tom Elliot. It's the best reference around on American planes..

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Yeah, that's the one I bought last night. I wasn't sure if that's stil the best reference, or if something more recent has been published.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Dang, I've got an extra copy I was going to offer you. Too late

The best reference for British wooden planes is Goodman's British Planemakers from 1700. This book is unfortunately out of print and copies are fetching high prices. The two books work well together since it'soften hard to tell if a plane is American or British.

Josh

Thanks for the offer, Josh - almost.

On your recommendation, I just bought a copy of the Goodman's book also. One can never have too much information!

Now if I can only locate the other part of this Joseph Jones Shooting Plane.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Sweet- where did you find Goodman's book? These days if you got it for anything less than $150 you've done well.

Josh

Amazon. 2 left @ $29.95 with free shipping for the hardcover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0904638...00_s00_i00

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Josh, is it possible you were thinking of Wooden Planes in Nineteenth Century America - Volume II ?? I know they command huge prices.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com