Bombe Secretary (picture heavy)
Much more ambitious than I might ever attempt, Peter! Looking good!

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
jteneyck said:

Nice work. Thanks for posting the pics. Why is it you can't make templates and route the bead details on the dividers? Even if you had to have a custom router bit made it would save a lot of work. I know that wouldn't be true to how it was done originally, but I personally would be OK with that.

John

John,
I will jump in here and answer your question. On the Bombe' chest I built I actually scratched all the beads on my drawer dividers since the router bit and scratch stock were not an exact match. It does take some time but not that much. Peter is just slow. At any rate a custom router bit would probably run about $300-$400 as I checked about having one made for the base molding. Is it really worth spending all that money for a router bit that will only work on one drawer divider on one piece of furniture to save yourself 30 min of labor? Honestly scratching beads on case work really isn't that difficult and can be done relatively quickly once you get the hang of it.
Dave Diaman said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

Nice work. Thanks for posting the pics. Why is it you can't make templates and route the bead details on the dividers? Even if you had to have a custom router bit made it would save a lot of work. I know that wouldn't be true to how it was done originally, but I personally would be OK with that.

John

John,
I will jump in here and answer your question. On the Bombe' chest I built I actually scratched all the beads on my drawer dividers since the router bit and scratch stock were not an exact match. It does take some time but not that much. Peter is just slow. At any rate a custom router bit would probably run about $300-$400 as I checked about having one made for the base molding. Is it really worth spending all that money for a router bit that will only work on one drawer divider on one piece of furniture to save yourself 30 min of labor? Honestly scratching beads on case work really isn't that difficult and can be done relatively quickly once you get the hang of it.

[/blockquote]

Well, it's true.

Peter

My "day job"
Ahhhhh

Finally at last I get to see you working more on your project. It sure is nice to see you back in action and doing what you love to do.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Dave Diaman said:

John

John,

[/blockquote]

No, I wouldn't spend $300 on a bit I'd only use once, either, but somehow I suspect it would take me a lot longer than 30 minutes to create those beads. I've done a few simple ones on straight stock, although I didn't have to remove any stock between the beads like on those dividers. But I get your point - and appreciate the reply.

Soooo.... what have you been working on lately? Always a pleasure to see your work.

Thanks,

John
Well done! The most important thing for me is to see that you are again in the shop. Best soul restorer there is.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
cputnam said:

Well done! The most important thing for me is to see that you are again in the shop. Best soul restorer there is.

That is very true
Peter

My "day job"
Have fun and be safe, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
jteneyck said:

[blockquote]Dave Diaman said:

John

John,

[/blockquote]

No, I wouldn't spend $300 on a bit I'd only use once, either, but somehow I suspect it would take me a lot longer than 30 minutes to create those beads. I've done a few simple ones on straight stock, although I didn't have to remove any stock between the beads like on those dividers. But I get your point - and appreciate the reply.

Soooo.... what have you been working on lately? Always a pleasure to see your work.

Thanks,

John

[/blockquote]

I just finished up a set of 8 heavily carved Chippendale chairs and two tall chests of drawers. Right now I have two tiger maple highboys and a Newport tea table under construction. Once I get my seats back from being upholstered I will post some photos in a different thread. I wouldn't want to stink Peter's thread up with my wood butchery.

That's very thoughtful of you
Peter

My "day job"