Bombe Secretary (picture heavy)
cad said:

Beautiful work. Do you worry about parts moving around after such a long delay and getting new parts to mate properly?

a little bit but everything is oversized that has not yet been installed (drawer parts etc.)

I'm not too worried
Peter

My "day job"
It has been a while, way too long.

But after about 3 1/2 years of not touching this project I'm back at it.

It's amazing and embarrassing how long I have put this off but now I'm excited to get back to it and work towards completing... in about 300 hours of work.

Next I've got to fit two more drawers, as well as the lopers on the outside of the top drawer.
Then I'll shape the drawer fronts
After that I'll shape and build the dovetailed drawers

I'll post progress pictures and hopefully some pictures of how I do each step.

I'll also see about cleaning up the thread and reposting some of my old pictures.
Peter

My "day job"
(05-29-2012, 11:13 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote:
Richard D. said:

Beautiful work Peter!

I understand using solid slabs to make it an authentic reproduction but are the GF products you mentioned authentic as well? Wouldn't Shellac and wax be more appropriate?

It would be more appropriate for an exact replica.  But I'm going for a reproduction which means that I will "modernize" a few things.

But, and I defer to Dave as the expert on this, reproductions today tend to emphasize wood choice and design faithfulness to the original.  There is no one (that I'm aware of) that is making furniture to be used and still using just the old finishing techniques.

I make the compromise in that I will use power tools to make this and I will use a modern finish.  The design and the wood will be true to the period as best as I am able.

Peter    did you ever finish this secretary ?    jerry
New post(s). Can't read 'em.
Ag
(05-29-2012, 11:13 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote:
Richard D. said:

Beautiful work Peter!

I understand using solid slabs to make it an authentic reproduction but are the GF products you mentioned authentic as well? Wouldn't Shellac and wax be more appropriate?

It would be more appropriate for an exact replica.  But I'm going for a reproduction which means that I will "modernize" a few things.

But, and I defer to Dave as the expert on this, reproductions today tend to emphasize wood choice and design faithfulness to the original.  There is no one (that I'm aware of) that is making furniture to be used and still using just the old finishing techniques.

I make the compromise in that I will use power tools to make this and I will use a modern finish.  The design and the wood will be true to the period as best as I am able.

peter did you finish the secretary ?   jerry
Photos not showing.

DT
(02-15-2018, 08:14 PM)jerry s Wrote: peter did you finish the secretary ?   jerry

Not yet.

After a while I'm finally getting back to this project
Peter

My "day job"
(02-15-2018, 10:42 PM)Tapper Wrote: Photos not showing.

DT

Sorry,

The only photos that are showing are the most recent.

The older photos, which are all of them from the past are hosted on a site that won't let me share them without paying them.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'll try to figure out how to go back and document the process with pictures that work.

That will take some time and I think it will be best to just start a new thread.

Stay tuned.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter, there are quite a few makers who finish with shellac and wax. In fact I do sometimes. That is how I finish all my museum pieces and some for collectors. If a piece is an everyday use piece I usually build my finish with shellac and put a satin modern finish as a final protective coat.

I can’t believe you started this in 2012. Has it really been that long. It honestly seems like just yesterday.
(02-16-2018, 08:53 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Peter, there are quite a few makers who finish with shellac and wax. In fact I do sometimes. That is how I finish all my museum pieces and some for collectors. If a piece is an everyday use piece I usually build my finish with shellac and put a satin modern finish as a final protective coat.

I can’t believe you started this in 2012. Has it really been that long. It honestly seems like just yesterday.

Thanks for the finishing advice, Dave.

It might be a bit premature.  At this rate this project won't be finished till the middle of the next decade.
Rolleyes

I agree.  It does seem like yesterday.
Peter

My "day job"