Bombe Secretary (picture heavy)
FrankAtl said:

[blockquote]EightFingers said:

Is it done yet? I've been waiting quite a while.....

That's what I was thinking. Dave would be putting on the finish by now!

Frank

[/blockquote]

Not done yet!

I have not even gotten back to the shop since I got back here on Monday. I hope to get a few hours in the shop tomorrow.

I think that time will be best spent cleaning and organizing the shop. I think that is the more pressing issue before I dive into this project any further in my shop.
Peter

My "day job"
Dave Diaman said:

Actually I just glued up my case yesterday and started on the drawers I will post a few incriminating photos of Peter using power tools when I get a chance and of coures a few photos of a piece that the dovetails were cut the proper way on pins first of course.

I'm looking forward to those pictures... more your case than my "incriminating photos"

Oh and BTW, Dave, did you tell the guys that my DTs went together off of the saw and you had to pare yours to get them to fit?

Ducking and running...
Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

[blockquote]Dave Diaman said:

Actually I just glued up my case yesterday and started on the drawers I will post a few incriminating photos of Peter using power tools when I get a chance and of coures a few photos of a piece that the dovetails were cut the proper way on pins first of course.

I'm looking forward to those pictures... more your case than my "incriminating photos"

Oh and BTW, Dave, did you tell the guys that my DTs went together off of the saw and you had to pare yours to get them to fit?

Ducking and running...

[/blockquote]

No but I will point out that I cut my dovetails and carved a foot in the time it took you to cut your dovetails Once again in my shop I am always right even when I'm wrong

Peter

My "day job"
Dave Diaman said:

No but I will point out that I cut my dovetails and carved a foot in the time it took you to cut your dovetails Once again in my shop I am always right even when I'm wrong

Dang Peter, you're even competitive in woodworking.

Oh, and gotta give you props for even attempting a Bombe chest.

Blaine
I'm really looking forward to watching you morph a stack of walnut boards into a serpentine chest.

Keep up the good work Peter

And keep the pics comin' !!
Well the shop was/is a mess so today was a start at cleaning it. I don't have pics of the mess nor the slow progress of the cleanup.

I threw out 5 large garbage bags of stuff: old boxes, cut offs, and other trash.

One thing that I learned from Dave, and that we chatted about, was that a clean and tidy shop is a productive shop. I am not clean and tidy but I want to be productive so I think I'll clean and organize the shop before I continue this project. It'll take a few hours but I think that it will help in the long run.

I also need to get rid of some stuff that I just don't use... lumber included

But I did go to the "store" today to buy my secondary lumber. I bought about 100 bf of poplar for this project. I'm thinking that that won't be enough but we will see how it turns out. I can strongly recommend Parkerville Wood Products in Manchester CT. Their poplar was very clear and they had a great selection of wide and clear boards. I was also pleased with the price.

Peter

My "day job"
Peter Tremblay said:

One thing that I learned from Dave, and that we chatted about, was that a clean and tidy shop is a productive shop. ...

I agree 100%. I was surprised to see Dave's shop so free of gizmos, gadgets, and widgets. IMHO after visiting Dave his thinking is on the lines of: Buy the best tools you can afford, keep it simple, and learn to use each tool well. At least that was my impression and take-away.
I think that's pretty accurate.
Peter

My "day job"
I would like to see a pic of Peter using a power tool..

I think it should be up where the advertising is for a week or two ..