Cedar Strip Canoe completed
For my ten thousandth post, I'd like to present my completed cedar strip canoe.

She was built using the Ranger 15 plans from Bear Mountain Boats and the book Canoecraft.   It took over a year to build and I've hundreds of hours into the project.  

The shell of the canoe is mostly built from Western Red Cedar obtained from Lowes.  The football (center bottom section of the hull) is pine.  Mahogany was used for the decks and plugs.  

The feature strip is made from Mahogany, Spruce and Walnut (diamonds).  You'll notice I used the sapwood in the walnut to give and arrow effect.  

The mahogany for the decks is quarter sawn and shows different colors depending on the angle you're looking at it.

The gunwales, seats and carrying yolk are made of ash.

The inner gunwale is scuppered (slots cut to let water out when you're done for the day).

A painters hole was turned out of mahogany and provides a place to tie down the canoe.

A closeup of the feature strip.  You can see the arrow effect on the diamonds from the sapwood in the walnut.

And here is the proud owner.   We paddled it about 5 miles on it's maiden voyage.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Gorgeous!
Gary, she's a beauty. Very nice work and attention to detail.
Fantastic work, Gary.

Another one of those "one of these days" projects.
An absolute work of art.

You done good.
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down.
A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.
Awesome canoe
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Very nice. I still want to build one. Costs allot more in epoxy than wood.

Firs time I ever used a wood canoe it was a huge difference. So much less effort than an old grumman or new plastic canoe and so much lighter.
Magnificent!

And it'll be passed down for generations!
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

I like it. That project is on my list.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
WOW!