Poor Man's Clamps
Edwin Hackleman said:

[blockquote]bennybmn said:

If you're going to "roll your own" dowels with the router, you could just leave a flat...

Very good point. However, I made the dowels before I made these clamps that called for a flat. Otherwise, that's what I would have done. I have used this technique to make dowels all the way down to 1/2". It gets a little tacky for anything smaller. The glued up laminations also allow for making a very true dowel by canceling out crook and bow as you fabricate the square stock. However, solid stock also works well.

There are also many projects that don't really require a perfectly round dowel. Rolling your own makes a lot of "cents" if you check the prices on hardwood dowels these days.

BTW, leave a short flat on the ends to fight the tendency to roll. Then cut that off when you are through with all four passes.

[/blockquote]

What I made mine from was an old broom handle. My wife's still wondering wher that broom went! I just sanded part of it flat on the belt sander and drilled a countersink hole and glued and screwed it. Also glued some sandpaper for better grip.

I bet an octogon or a 6 point hex shape would work also. May give the clamps some edges to hold on?

Rob
bennybmn said:

Good point! Ever since I saw these clamps in the catalog I have been thinking of making my own. No need for them just yet, so I haven't. But when I do... I was also thinking of screwing up into the dowel with a counter sunk screw thru the flat piece,instead of relying on the glue .

You might be surprised how strong 2 part epoxy is. Besides, you don't have to crank the clamps down super tight on the dowels. If your joints are good and tight to begin with, all you need is enough pressure to squeeze a little glue out. Actually, very little pressure is needed.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
rjwz28 said:

I bet an octogon or a 6 point hex shape would work also. May give the clamps some edges to hold on?

I'll say, "Yes" and also "No" to that. "Yes" that it would likely work, just not optimally IMHO.

The beauty of the round cylindrical shape is that the flat of a clamp jaw can be tangential to the the round surface it is contacting *AT ANY ANGLE*. With proper placement, that will put the vector of applied force through the center of the cylinder and through the joint itself.

The security of the clamp-up comes from having a dowel sized to the job -- large enough for the clamp to fit on solidly while applying the force vector perpendicularly through the joint.
"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -
I'm a lawyer but not a patent lawyer. My take is that the OP's wooden version is sufficiently different from the blokkz. They operate on the same principle, but they are different animals with different construction. OP has added his own value by making it easily constructed by a woodworker with no metal skills.

This is a lot better than the clamps I made for corner cabinets. I'll be making some. LOML has standing instructions to buy broken rakes, brooms, etc., at auctions if they have good handles. Often no more than a dollar.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer said:

I'm a lawyer but not a patent lawyer. My take is that the OP's wooden version is sufficiently different from the blokkz. They operate on the same principle, but they are different animals with different construction. OP has added his own value by making it easily constructed by a woodworker with no metal skills.

This is a lot better than the clamps I made for corner cabinets. I'll be making some. LOML has standing instructions to buy broken rakes, brooms, etc., at auctions if they have good handles. Often no more than a dollar.

Thanks, Carolyn..

Now that I have a legal opinion, and in no fear of being sued, anybody want to buy some clamps? I can probably make a pair for $15.00 or so, or $35.00 for two pairs.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
As for the Blokz- neat idea, but I believe it has been done by others. Just like the Deulen jointer/planer blade sharpening jig.

A designer or manufacturer can legally use "Patent Pending" as soon as an application for a Provisional Patent (cheap, 1 year only, can't be renewed) or a full Utility Patent (big $$$, 20 years) has been accepted at the USPTO. It doesn't even need to be reviewed first. Patent Pending doesn't mean a patent will ever issue, however. Among other criteria, it must not duplicate another design (patented or not), never been in the "public domain," and must be "non-obvious" (that can be the tough one), for a patent to issue.

You can copy and use any patented design you want, you just can't make money from it- by selling completed assemblies or even plans- I've seen quite a few violations on a number of WW forums. The same goes for copyrighted material in magazines- you can copy and build using free or purchased plans, you just can't copy them for resale.

As to intellectual property- it is really bad that you must spend (many?) tens of thousands of dollars on a patent application in the first place, with absolutely no guarantee you will receive a patent and no refund if you don't!! What's worse is when an offshore company steals your design, the US gov't normally won't help prosecute them- you are on your own and must spend more of your own money to defend your patent! Or how about a Patent system where all it takes is some minor modification to the design or claims and good lawyers to get around patent laws, so they can copy what is still essentially your design!!
Alan in little Washington said:

Or how about a Patent system where all it takes is some minor modification to the design or claims and good lawyers to get around patent laws, so they can copy what is still essentially your design!!

If "your design" doesn't include any unique features that can be patented, then why shouldn't they be allowed to copy it?

I am surprised the OP's dowels didn't blow off. I like the idea with screws much more.

A few years ago, before Blokkz was out, I made up a set out of solid wood that I held on with 23 gauge pins because there was no way to to get clamps in.
For the life of me I can't remember if I thought up the idea or copied something I saw. Probably the latter, but if so, I don't know why the Blokkz would get a patent.