A New Years - What are you planning on doing this year?
Not buy any new to me tools, but fix all the broken ones I now have. I have a couple of Senco nailers that need overhaul kits installed, routers that need new bearings, cord sets that need replacing, etc. I also want to build myself a tapering jig, for which I have absolutely no use. Rebuild my panel cutter, and learn how to use my dovetail jig. Install a router in LEFT wing of tablesaw. Oh yeah, see about having my knee replaced so life is more comfortable when doing these things.
Come up with my own design for this using my CNC machine...oh and get my CNC machine up and running.

Start on a shop...I say start because once I do, I'll finish it. Getting started is the hard part. Move my '65 Mustang into the garage and start restoring it. Come up with more "stuff" to sell of my own design. My list goes on and on.
“As a result of your posts, you now have convinced me of agreeing to your point of view”

-  nobody....ever
Tim Becker said:

Come up with my own design for this using my CNC machine...oh and get my CNC machine up and running.

.......oh and......... made me laugh, sounds like me
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I want to get into steam bending wood, the first project I have in mind is a toboggan. I would also like to master the hand cut dovetail and work on better dedicated shop fixtures such as out feed tables and router tables.

HJ
ckx707 said:

[blockquote]efmrrt said:

Have you given any thought as to what your doing this year?

#1 Build a real workbench
#2 Build a bed
#3 Complete at least 3 other smaller projects (less time on woodnet more time in the shop )
#4 Insulate and heat the garage or make a shop space in the basement so I can get some shop time in the winter.
#5 Try some new finishes. Wipe-on poly is not the perfect finish for everything

P.S. I propose that we bump this thread every few months to see how we all do working towards our goals.

-Chris

[/blockquote]

Ok, it may be a bit early to bump a new years thread but with the upcoming holidays I'm most likely done woodworking for the year and I was curious to take a look back and review progress against what I set out to accomplish almost 12 months ago.

#1 Build a real workbench - Done. It was a huge project but was sooooo worth the effort. This monster is now far and away my favorite tool.

#2 Build a bed - Delayed to 2014. The Roubo took up much of my woodworking bandwidth through the first half of the year and the last 6 months were busy preparing for and adjusting to life with our new baby boy and the few other small projects noted below.

#3 Complete at least 3 other smaller projects (less time on woodnet more time in the shop ) - Complete.

I made an oak mallet. which came in very handy for the Roubo build.

I built an oak bookshelf for our new baby boy's room.

Finally, I just wrapped up a spalted curly maple and cherry treasure box that will be a Christmas gift for my daughter.

#4 Insulate and heat the garage or make a shop space in the basement so I can get some shop time in the winter - Delayed to ????. This project fell victim to indecision as we have been discussing bigger picture remodeling plans and the future vision for shop space is unclear. I may end up insulating the current garage shop in the interim but I'd hate to put a bunch of effort into it and then settle on tearing it down to add more space in a year or two. I did work on the Roubo in the basement a fair amount last winter but the noise was a problem with the bedroom directly above so this isn't a long term option. For now I'll just focus on non-woodworking projects and cruising WoodNet through the heart of winter .

#5 Try some new finishes. Wipe-on poly is not the perfect finish for everything - I'll call this one a success as I tried out a few new things this year. I used a 3 part homemade danish oil (Poly, BLO, and MS) on the mallet as well as the oak parts of the Roubo, I used a water based dye stain for the first time on the oak bookshelf, and I finished the treasure box with shellac (SealCoat) buffed out with wax.

Bonus - Another goal I was able to check off this past year was attending handworks in Amana IA. It was great to get to meet and talk to many of the premier hand tool makers and vendors all in a very cool old barn. Somehow I managed to keep my wallet closed most of the weekend but I did pick up a copy of "By Hand and Eye" which I was lucky to get autographed by George, Megan, and Chris.

I'm already starting to think through what I want to set out to accomplish in 2014 but I'll save that post for New Years.

How did your plans for 2013 turn out?

-Chris
For 2014, I am planning to begin a subscription website for woodworkers.

The plan is to have in-depth, long form instructional videos along with .pdfs, drawings, .dxf files, even VCarve Pro files. My plan is to present instructional info in steps working up from easy to difficult in logical steps. From video to paper, whatever format people want to get info in, I want to have it for them.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Broker a middle east peace.
Develop a cold fusion reactor.
Stop smoking crack.
Get the shop organized.

The first three are easy, the last one is going to be a challenge.
Mike77 said:

Broker a middle east peace.
Develop a cold fusion reactor.
Stop smoking crack.
Get the shop organized.

The first three are easy, the last one is going to be a challenge.

Quite an ambitious list. Good luck on that last one.
Richard D. said:

Dinning room table and chairs. Hopefully I'll be busy with my day job so that the project will take several months to complete.

Hey, I actually did it! Didn't remember this thread and was surprised when I saw my post and the date.

RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Good thread!

I'm hopefully going to be finishing my bombe secretary.

That's about my only goal for this year.

I might also finally get a jointer of some sort.

I'd like to do some pen turning and some other stuff on the lathe.
Peter

My "day job"