A New Years - What are you planning on doing this year?
(01-01-2013, 11:18 PM)mstens Wrote: I have a tv/stereo equipment stand to finish, after that I need to redo some shop tools, a moon vise, some bookshelves and boxes (some apple crates too), and if I can find wood for it...  Start on a half set of hollows and rounds.

(01-01-2013, 11:30 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Retire, sell existing house, move to Montana, build house and dream shop 44 x 50. Shop first....................yea right, that's why it is a dream shop.

I hope you have lots of retirement money. To heat that shop here in Montana would be an expensive endeavor.
In less than 3 weeks, I'll be moving from the SoCal high desert to Orlando, Florida.  So, #1 on my list is getting in the routine of rust prevention.  I'm also probably going to downsize a bit.  I have a lot of duplicate tools and accessories I don't use, so I'll be purging some.  I am finding it difficult in my home search to find a suitable home with enough space for a dedicated shop, so I am considering renting some commercial space as my shop.  We'll see.  I may keep my turning stuff at home, and move the other large machines to the rental space.  Keeping my fingers crossed for a good transition.  I am in close proximity to the LA Metroplex, and that means just about any woodworking product is within a 1 to 1.5 hour drive from my house.  I don't think I'll be that lucky in Orlando.  OTOH, trees abound and North Carolina (Roy Underhill) is a day's drive away.  Might take some time off and take one of his classes.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A bit of history.
I had a fairly large shop space, a 5 car garage, and had just begun filling it with tools.  I had a shop smith, so I did not have a proper table saw, but I had a band saw and RAS.

I lost the shop space.  It left with my wife.  I was able to keep the tools, but not much of a shop.

Fast forward.  I bought a 80X20 wood shop, with a house attached.  I also acquired a full set of tools, i.e. joiner, planer, proper table saw, drum sander.   Last year at this time, I was moving.

My shop is not organized, yet.  #1, organize the shop.  while that is highest in priority, it is not first on the list, because other things need to happen first.

In 2018 I plan to open up the wall between the two, two car garages.  I will put in pair of sliding barn doors, so that I can open up the space to work.

I would like to blow some foam insulation into the shop.  This is a wish and not a plan, but I will definitely get a contractor to look and give me prices.  The shop is bare studs on the inside.  Once the insulation is done, I will cover the walls, likely with OSB.

Build a table saw cabinet, and put the router into the table saw's wing.

Build a kitchen Island.

Build some shelving - some corner shelves in the dining room, a couple of free standing selves, likely with bottom cabinets for elsewhere in the house.

Build some shop shelving or cabinets

Make an infinity tunnel out of the hollow of the maple tree I cut.  If that works well, I will make a few.  I have enough for 4 or 5.

I will purchase a Raspberry Pi and play with that.  I may incorporate that into the wood shop.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
If my health improves, I would like to take a few classes this year.  I have never taken a formal class.
I plan to keep building boxes, if only to stay in the shop.
I want to shoot more this year, and fly fish if we can get out.
I would love to meet a few of my friends here face to face.

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Finish the house interior renovation. LOMLs kitchen is now ninety nine percent done.
But since we were doing the flooring in there.... now I am replacing all the flooring
on the ground floor. So, also new baseboards. And door trim. And paint. Etc. etc.
( Mission Creep to the max )

But, I am also decluttering both in the house and shop as I go. My new mantra is
if in doubt , throw it out. While not literally true, it has helped my downsize a lot
of superfluous tools/scrap wood/junk/"goodies"/etc and that has resulted in a much
more pleasurable experience.

Wainscoting in the wood shop. ( Cause I got a bunch for free from a friend ).
Storage cabinets in the wood shop. For the glues/finishes/hardware/supplies/etc.
Some progress made already, more to go.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
This winter - work on our new home ... Antique Cape. It will be a combo of home projects and some shop projects (radiator cover, shutters, etc)
See post from other forum ... https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7335991

When spring comes clear some land for a huge garden and a timber frame shed
PJ
Plympton, MA
(01-06-2017, 09:12 AM)greatscott Wrote: Since I took the time to read everyone's plans for 2017, I might as well add my own:

1.  Build my workbench
2.  Re-run the dust collection once all the big tools find their final resting spot
3.  Stop searching Craigslist for new tools
4.  Learn to use hand tools in the shop
5.  Learn to sharpen said hand tools
6.  Did I mention stop searching Craigslist for new tools???

I rang in 2017 by upgrading my planer to a 15" Grizzly G0453 in pristine condition that I found on Craigslist for a good price.  LOML gave me the go-ahead for it and two days later, a Powermatic 209 planer (20") in new condition shows up on Craigslist about 5 miles from my house for $900.  I spent half the night figuring out how I could convince LOML that what I really wanted was a 20" planer.  I've got to condition myself to just avoid Craigslist and focus on the tools/projects that I have in the garage waiting for me.

Funny to look back on your 2017 goals and see how you fared.

1.  Build my workbench - work in progress.  I had 2 weeks off over Christmas to work on it but other projects took priority over it, mainly getting the dust collection squared away.
2.  Re-run the dust collection once all the big tools find their final resting spot - completed!  Spent most of the past 2 weeks organizing the tools, setting up a 2 stage dust collection and getting everything squared away.
3.  Stop searching Craigslist for new tools - impossible to do.  I need to focus on goals that are at least possible.
4.  Learn to use hand tools in the shop - I didn't achieve anything related to hand tools in 2017.  More to come in 2018.
5.  Learn to sharpen said hand tools - see above.
6.  Did I mention stop searching Craigslist for new tools???

With that being said, here is my list of goals for 2018.

1.  Finish workbench.  Aleady have vise purchased for it and wood for top has been cut.
2.  Build router table in table saw extension wing.  Going to use plans from the ultimate router table (already purchased) and make them applicable to fit my extension table on my PM66.  Incra router lift purchased today for it.
3.  Build better dust collection for PM66 table saw.  There is too much on table dust with my table saw so I need to purchase a shark guard to calm down the dust problems.  Also figure out how I can improve the current dust collection for the cabinet as it's quite lacking.
4.  Learn to use hand tools in the shop - continuation from last year's goals.
5.  Learn to sharpen said hand tools - continuation from last year.
6.  Tune up power tools in the shop.  Need to tune up all my machines to make sure they are running correctly and aligned correctly, also wax all cast iron surfaces.
7.  Install air compressor lines for shop.  Either from Ingersoll Rand or Maxline (RapidAir).  
8.  Learn to do dovetails.

Most of my goals center around organization or cleaning up the shop but I'd also like to create a few projects this year including a mantle for our fireplace and a few jewelry boxes for my daughters.
Several goals for this year:

1)  Finish the dining table I started some three years ago
2)  Finish the electrical install in my new shop (only need to add two more 120V lines)
3)  Finish the lighting install in my new shop (need four more LED fixtures)
4)  Insulate and hang drywall in my new shop
5)  Install a wall dividing my side of the garage (my shop) from my wife's parking spot
6)  Build a heavy hand tool bench.  Probably a Roubo-inspired piece
7)  Get better at sharpening blades
8)  Learn to use hand planes on the bench I will build
9)  Build lots of storage for my shop
10)  While doing all of this, start making (and hopefully selling) lots of small boxes on ETSY to fund all of the work above!
Semper fi,
Brad

Some goals for me

1) much better organization of my much smaller shop (already started this)
2) in connection with #1, some improvements to make it more functional, like last week finally mounting my bench vise
3) go through turning projects and try and complete the many half finished ones before I start new ones
4) regain the turning skills that I have lost
5) regain the sharpening skills that I have lost
6) hopefully start selling turning projects
So sorry to see several people that were here are now passed away or gone.  I miss my friends very much.

I just hope this year we get our Non Profit started and get the building the city said they would give us once we started.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.