Handplane storage
I keep my user's in my tool cabinet also, the few extra I have are on a shelf in my shop. My Wooden planes are in my house in a spare linen closet.

Steve
What's that fancy plane in the middle with all the buttons? I assume it must be a Lee Valley offering, due to the high-tech gizmocity of it all.

jossimbyr said:

Here is a crappy shot of mine that I found on my Facebook. It was made with scrap pine and lauan. I also used some spare oak fillet material from when I built my stairs.

Jason
Jason Chestnut said:

What's that fancy plane in the middle with all the buttons? I assume it must be a Lee Valley offering, due to the high-tech gizmocity of it all.

As far as planing goes, it's the worst one I've ever used (not sharp enough, I guess).
bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Another great bump......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Here is a picture of mine. The only novel modification was using epoxy to set rare earth magnets into the board to keep the planes from tipping out. Seems to be holding up.

I would recommend making something you feel comfortable modifying. I change something in mine every 2-3 months.
My planes are stored on open shelves over the workbench within easy reach. The toes of the planes are elevated on a 1/2" strip on the rear of the shelf so that the blade does not touch the shelf. The toe end of the jack and jointer planes rest on a dowel to keep the blade from touching the shelf.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Here is pic when I was setting up my bench drawers with Kaizen (?) foam. Notice the round object just above the #4 Smoother: its an anit-corrosion emitter (Lee Valley). Has worked well for me.
Most of my metal planes are stored on the wall
I embedded magnets in a plywood backer and covered the whole thing with felt and screwed it to the wall

My other planes are stored on shelves that run along the top of the wall

I have about 24 feet worth of plane till. Each panel slides aside so that I can store items behind it also. There's another 6 feet of saw till to the left and 4 feet of braces and drawknives to the left, not pictured. Chisels above...

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com