Hanging a clamp rack...
I made a clmap rack that will hold 36 Bessey K-Clamps. Beings that it is 56" across, I figured that it will span three studs in the wall. Will two screws in the upper horizontal piece and two screws in the lower horizontal piece on each stud be enough for support? That will make for 12 screws in total. Ibeleive I might use a 2.5" construction screw.

Thanks!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Actually, looks like I will be hitting 4 studs, so 16 screws total....
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
titanxt said:

Actually, looks like I will be hitting 4 studs, so 16 screws total....

If 16 deck screws sunk into 4 studs cannot support these clamps on the wall, then I doubt that you should ever have bought the clamps in the first place. Eiither that, or your clamp rack is trash. How about showing us a Pic of this clamp rack?

pssstttt... these clamps don't weigh that much. Understand?
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
I would think using 4-6 of the same type of screws used to mount kitchen cabinets would be more than strong enough for this purpose...

But that's just me...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Is this a stealth gloat that you have 36 K-bodies?
Here is a picture of the clamp rack. Again, it will be holding 35 Bessey clamps ranging from 24" to 60".

Thanks!

That's about $1500 worth of clamps. (1) Will your 16 screws into studs support them all? Yes. (2) Do you really need 36 K-bodies? I doubt it.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Man, Edwin, you must have something against guys from Indiana... "then I doubt that you should ever have bought the clamps in the first place. Eiither that, or your clamp rack is trash" and "pssstttt... these clamps don't weigh that much. Understand?". Harsh....

As far as $1,500... far from it. I never paid more than 50% for any of them. I waited until they went on at least the buy 1 get 1 free sale - some of the buy 1 get 1 free deals were on reduced priced clamps to begin with. Plus, I bought all of those clamps over about a three year period.

As far as "need".... well, who knows. Since some are 24 and some are 50's and a few more are 60's, you can't really say you would not need them. There have been times when I have had every single 24" in use. I think I had them all in use when I built my workbench....

Thanks!
Very nice rack, and yes, you can't have too many racks. I am no engineer, but in attaching the rack dealing to the wall you are dealing with a few different issues. When loaded, the weight of the clamps will push down on the rack, and also want to move the upper portion of the rack away from the wall ( and the lower part into the wall - but that can't happen) . So the upper part must be attached to the way so that it resists the downward force as well as the force pulling out. These are the same forces that you need to counteract when installing kitchen cabinets - except that a kitchen wall cabinet full of dishes will probably have even higher loading in terms of weight in it, and will have a greater pullout tendency because it sticks out so far. So long as you use decent sized wood screws ( # 12 or #10) , not drywall screws which are very brittle, and go all the way through your rack, the sheet rock, and penetrate an inch and a half or more into the stud, I would bet you have it covered.
Edwin Hackleman said:

(2) Do you really need 36 K-bodies? I doubt it.

The answer is of course YES!