Thoughts of a turner facing his final days spinning [OT]
Larry your attitude is commendable.

Is there any specific wood or project that you have been wanting to have a go at? Maybe the forum members could help make that happen.
Larry,

It sounds like you have the type of spirit that will carry you through the difficult days you will endure. May those days be as few as possible. You are in my prayers.

Joe
Joe
I know a lot of you don't frequent the basement,but it was suggested that maybe some of the Texas turners could get together with Larry and give him some help with some of the issues he is having.This could be at Larry's or some one could drive him to a convenient place.Wish I lived closer,would be there in a heart beat,3 time survivor myself.Something for you Texas guys and gals to consider.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I thank you all for the kind words and offer of support. I am still on my feet, turning, doing both green wood and finsih turning. I will have my older son in town soon to give him what lessons I know, and for him to take some videos of what all the do-das and things are. He is in the middle of a 2 year complete to the foundation house remodel, so it may be some time before he eve gets to turning. Eventially, when I am no longer able to use the lathe and all the other stuff, he will take it to colorodao where he lives. I plan this weekend to going to my woodlot to get more green wood, fire up the chainsaw and get to making shavings as Capt Eddie says. The cycle continues, and if I get some green bowls turned but not completed, then he will have a start when he gets to it.

I think I finally figured out the problem with the scraper, doing outside and inside are different techniques as far as the height of the rest and the manner the tool is presented to the wood. I was doing both inside and outside the same, rest at slightly below center in both cases. It was only after some errors (catches) and investigation that I realized that when doing that on the inside it created a fulcrum that allowed the dig to be hard, and the bowl becoming a low altitude satelite. So I raise the rest above center for inside cuts, and then if it cathces, its thrown into air since there isnt wood below it. It was only after trying to visulaize what was going wrong that lead me to this DOH moment.
Terminal cancer sure ruins retirement planning
Wow! A great inspiration sir.

Frank
Frank
Larry

Seen your post in the basment and sent you a PM.

Hope afew Tx turners read this to help you out.

All the Best
Arlin

PS - Here is the link I was talking about.
Cancer Treatment Centers
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Larry
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I hope that I'm half as strong as you are when my time comes. Your a great example for all of us to learn from.
Tim
I contacted the Bayou Woodturner, Captn' Eddie Castelin, and asked if he would shoot a video that discusses your problem. He was tied up yesterday but expects to have a video up later today/tonight on Youtube. I suscribe to his YouTube channel and have had loads of success with his tips. The Captn' is a great guy and has a great website. I hope that his video helps.

Happy turning.
Larry,

Always spend more time than I think I should have to getting the inside of bowls to where I think they could be before sanding. Can't wait to try your tip. Thanks!

As I said in the basement I should hope that I have your strength and attitude when my time comes.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Had a great week this past week. Completed 8 second turning bowls from dried blanks first turned wet back last spring. Spent today making a large 19 inch donut jamb chuck for some large bowls that my jumbo jaws on my stronghold wouldnt hold. It worked great, just took a while to get the parts, bolts, ply etc. But the bottoms have been turned on 3 of the larger bowls. I will work on them prior to my first chemo next Thursday, January 31- Feb 2.
Terminal cancer sure ruins retirement planning