Laguna Driftmaster Fence Mounting System
The fence itself is very nice.

The included universal mounting brackets, not so nice.....

So here is my solution:

The key ingredient in this new mount is the horizontal rail, with it's edge machined to the same radius as the Laguna round rail. This ensures a nominal 100% contact along the width and length of the improved mount. Additionally the rail is sized to allow the fence table to pass along it's length, and the table will not flop down as before when the fence itself is removed from the table.

The Laguna rail is secured to the mount using the four tapped holes already in the rail. I think 3 would be quite enough, but as four were there I decided to use them all.

Each rail mounting bolt starts as an M-12 all thread rod cut to length and reduced to 3/8" and threaded 3/8 - 16 to keep things easy.

The mount is secured to the saw table by 2 carriage bolts passing through vertical mortises to allow for fence alignment with the table. I considered eccentric bolts but this was so very simple to do and it works very well.

The entire assembly was then moved as far forward as possible, allowing for full fence travel back to the saw frame. This improves blade removal, and allows the crank wheel to be moved to the front, tucking neatly in front of the saw table. The bottom door opens fully.

Notable improvements include increased overall rigidity of the fence rail, improved blade access at the rear, the table no longer flops down when removing the fence, and a smaller footprint as the rail is now much closer to the saw. R&D time and prototyping aside, installing the new system on the saw is very fast and easy, unlike the OEM universal brackets. There are no air gaps between fence and saw, no "universal mounting brackets" hanging here, there, and wherever, no align this one... or tighten that one... then back to this one....none of that. Just tap the mount up or down, front or rear to get the face of the fence square to the table and lock down the two carriage bolts.
A neat and clean installation.

A project like this in a good example why one of these:

Is valuable in the woodworkers shop.
My apologizes for many, fuzzy photos.
Thanks to ruffcutt for suggesting moving the wheel to the front. Intuitive movement, clear thinking!
Thanks to Brian at Holbren for getting me the required router bit to make the radius cut in the rail.
Ag
Great job and lathe! Metal Lathe and Mill are on my list

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Looks like a great idea. I took my DMF off and put my original fence back on because of nearly the same reasons.
Have you had time to use It yet like this? Can you give some dimensions on the wood parts?
And what can I do if I don't have a metalworking lathe.
JB

Block Planes rule!!
Nice job.

I heartily agree on the value of a metal lathe for solving problems in the shop.
Very clever and . I'll have to tag this in case, no when, I get a DMF for my SUV.
Very resourceful, great solution.

Thanks for posting,
John.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Thank you for your kind words and for the "nick of time" bump!
I have had a year using this and it works very well. No redo's or reasons for mods or change.
Just wax every now and then.
Ag
BloomingtonMike said:

Great job and lathe! Metal Lathe and Mill are on my list

LOL - funny to read what WAS on your list a year later.

Still a beautiful lathe up there!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Bump for another year, in case anyone is interested in doing this modification.
Ag
Well, since AG bumped this thread -

I'm about to get a drift master, and this mod looks like a good idea. - But I don't see how I would need a metal lathe. Surely one can use standard bolts, just cut to length, no?

Also, how exactly do you cut the curved profile in the wood standoff piece? I'm thinking it could probably just be a "square" opening, but the matching curve does look nice.