What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench?
I started this thread some time ago and was really surprised to see it come alive again! Thanks for all the info. I learned a lot. I have been reading Paul Sellers blog and get a lot out of it. However, I built a Roubo style bench following Shwarz's book. Due to lack of space, I made it 72x24. It has a 3 1/2 inch think maple top because, believe it or not, I stumbled on to the maple for cheaper than Doug Fir from my next door neighbor. The bench works great for me and I would not trade it for anything. I made another bench for my son and made it taller (38") just to see what it was like. My son is taller than me and he likes it OK but I could never use it. I am only 5'6" so I am probably the exception but, for me, the Roubo work bench at the height Shwarz suggests can't be beat. I can't believe how stiff it is! The drawbored mortise and tenon joinery makes the whole thing so stiff. I was amazed when I got it all together.
Apparently Arizona has a cr*p selection of DF and the pine is too soft, perhaps Ponderosa. I tried cutting the knots out of the DF, cutting the 2x4 to shorter lengths, thinking I could create a sort of parquetry bench top, but that was a waste. After planing, the thickness of the pieces varied too much. I'm fortunate to have a Hood Ind/McEwen lumber nearby, so I'll check to see what they have in the way of cheap 8/4. Soft maple will run about $200 just for the top--out of my budget.
dcurrit: I've been curious about the well that’s smack in the middle of the top, and no tail vise. Seems awkward. How has that worked out? I watched Paul plane using a benchhook and his front vise. How does it work for you?
dcurrit said:

I started this thread some time ago and was really surprised to see it come alive again! Thanks for all the info. I learned a lot. I have been reading Paul Sellers blog and get a lot out of it. However, I built a Roubo style bench following Shwarz's book. Due to lack of space, I made it 72x24. It has a 3 1/2 inch think maple top because, believe it or not, I stumbled on to the maple for cheaper than Doug Fir from my next door neighbor. The bench works great for me and I would not trade it for anything. I made another bench for my son and made it taller (38") just to see what it was like. My son is taller than me and he likes it OK but I could never use it. I am only 5'6" so I am probably the exception but, for me, the Roubo work bench at the height Shwarz suggests can't be beat. I can't believe how stiff it is! The drawbored mortise and tenon joinery makes the whole thing so stiff. I was amazed when I got it all together.

Been enjoying reading this one. How about some pics of your bench???
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have never been successful at posting photos on this site. Here goes again. If this does work, it was taken before the bench was finished but should give some idea. Shutterfly image

I just loaded my pictures on photobucket since I read that it works well. Here is another try.

Here is a view of the tail vise, again not completed.

Just to see if it works, here is picture of an easel I made for my grandkids.

Nice. I see you used six-bys for legs as I did ( Mine were on a closeout at the local Borg).

Who made/makes the face vise you have? I don't recall seeing one mounted like that, ie the captured sliding dog in the moveable jaw is too low to engage the work, or so it appears.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
MarkSingleton said:

Who made/makes the face vise you have? I don't recall seeing one mounted like that, ie the captured sliding dog in the moveable jaw is too low to engage the work, or so it appears.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the dog probably pops up from under the vise. You know, push on the bottom and it pops out of the top.

And unless I miss my guess that looks like an old Colombian Vise
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
You are right, the sliding dog in the vise is useless. When I had it on a thinner bench top, I used it a little. No idea who made the vise. It says B/G 500-V on it. I got it used several years ago.
dcurrit said:

You are right, the sliding dog in the vise is useless. When I had it on a thinner bench top, I used it a little. No idea who made the vise. It says B/G 500-V on it. I got it used several years ago.

While browsing ebay I came across this:
Brodhead Garrett B/G 500V Wood Vise - Bench Clamp - 7" Wide Jaw - Nice

Some company info:
Brodhead Garrett Co
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?