What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench?
I have had my bench finished a while back and took photos of it. How do you post pictures in simple terms so that a dumb person like me can post them? I have windows 8.1 and my daughter helper me post them on face book but I do not know where to begin on woodnet. Help please.
Some day soon, I am going to make a copy and paste of the procedures for this.

Open a web browser page to photobucket.com and join up. Upload some pics to your "library" there.

When you want to post the pic, "Here" you need a second browser window open "there" at photobucket.

When you get to the point in your post that you want the photo to appear, go to the PB window and click on the photo. When the "boxes" on the right side come up, you click on the "IMG" one. It will automatically "copy."

You then move your mouse to the WN window and paste.

Proceed with the rest of your posting to WN. You should have a pic in it.

It sounds much more complicated than it is.

PM me if you want more help. I know what you mean, it is a foreign language to most of us, until suddenly, like a burst of sunshine, you kinda "get" it.

YMMV!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Couple of questions answered here,

#1- I still have my Sigma Power Stones and like them very much, I did however by the Eze - Lap Diamond Stones like Paul use's and have started to sharpen freehand like Paul does, I really like that set up. And of Course I keep a strop handy and hone often.

#2 - Hi Jackie, I used a #4 smoothing plane for everything and jointed my edges 1st then the top and bottom of the 2 X 4. After I glued the top, apron and legs together I smoothed the top or outside surfaces of the top and legs and surprisingly I found it very easy and got some exercise to boot . I made a pile of shavings but thoroughly enjoyed every minute and would do again in a heart beat. I did not miss the corded tools one bit. It wasn't a fast project project but i got it done. Oh I did use my plastic saw horses to smooth and glue everything together and clamped boards similar to what Paul did, worked very well. I even bought a few of those cheap HF clamps and modified them like he did and they worked very well.

Steve

Ok, my son came over for Mothers Day and posted these pictures of my Paul Sellers workbench. I am proud to share it.
Beautiful. You have every right to be proud of that!

Now you can ding it all up with projects and it will look even better!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have not as yet built a woodworking work bench. My shop is so full of other stuff, I don't have space for another bench. When I look at your bench and others who post pictures of what they have done, I have to admire the workmanship, but question the practicality of some of the designs plus wondering about the difficulty factor in building it. My eye was also drawn to the scale model John Deere tractor in the background. I have a small collection of them.

My first thought when viewing the Paul Sellers' style bench is to question the practicality of the Tool
Well. It occupies a lot of bench top surface that can't, in a practical way, serve as a work surface, only storage space and a collector of sawdust and chips and shavings that might bury some tools that are stored there. I think I'd rather all the waste be on the floor, not on my tools.

Your workmanship is outstanding. I really like the large apron and would for sure include it in any bench design I might decide to build. Large size legs, plus anything else that would add weight is a big plus. A bench of that size and weight with properly fitted joints would no doubt be very solid. I think I would want some means of leveling and stabilizing to compensate for an uneven floor. Most all floors are uneven.

So often when I build something that involves a lot of effort and thought, when I finish it, invariably, I seem to realize that I should have done it a little differently and or added another feature. If I ever build a bench, I think I'll do what Steve (Window Guy) did and take a couple years to think about it. I think I would want to include every useful feature that is possible. But at the same time, try to end up with something unique, such as three legs instead of four, for example. Splay the legs for better stability. If I have enough space, I would build a small secondary side unit with large casters with storage below and a tray style top for laying tools on and so the tools would be handy at a mid-point in relation to the work bench length. It would resemble a cart with enclosed sides and hinged doors for tool access and easily moved from place to place. It would have a means of hanging tools around the sides for chisels, etc.

I have always preferred to have a work surface and a separate surface for tools. It doesn't always work out that way, but when I do set up my work area that way, I'm am more contented and seem to do better work.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Very nice job on your bench John you should be proud. I think it looks better than mine but the bench works fine. I did paint my aprons, legs, and stretchers which covered up some of the ugly wood that I had used.

Steve
Hi Marv ......... that is exactly what my bench looks like and I love it. I fine the "tool well" very useful and I do brush or vacuum out the area it really isn't that bad. I also found for 95% of the work I do the approx. 12" solid surface is sufficient. Keep in mind both aprons are level with the main bench so straddling is no problem.

The bench is a low cost no nonsense bench and works great for me and am glad I decided to build it. I really like the extra height which so far has caused no issues and my back really appreciates this .

Steve

PS: Yeah I am glad I was wishy washy on deciding which bench to build, and it was fun building with a minimum amount of hand tools as well, great exercise. Not near as bad I don't think as seeing pictures of you cutting wood / stumps with your docking saw .
Thank you Mark, Steve and Marv for your help, and kind comments. My son is responsible for the posting of my workbench pictures, but now I need to figure out how he did it. Thank God that hand cut dovetails is much easier than computer picture posting, otherwise I would be really lost.
No, I have not broke in my new bench in yet, as I have another bench that I use. You can barely see it in my pictures of the new workbench that my son posted.
I am still a novice in this hand tool woodworking stuff but I am really enjoying it. Paul Sellers has been a great help for me in knowing that I do not need machines or expensive hand tools to enjoy woodworking.
The thing with handcut dovetails is that you don't forget the password. They don't update the software. Nobody changes how they get done. The technologies are the same for generations. You can practice. You can throw your mistakes in the fire. 98% of the world really doesn't know how they are done.

Your son can post pictures, and we're happy. Do what you do best.