What do you think of Paul Sellers workbench?
Were you able to get a couple of photos of your workbench that you could share with us? I would like to see it.
Not yet but will when I can get back in the shop and learn how to post pictures. I just got out of the hospital after 3 months and going through rehab.

There have been several good folks here trying to help me do this but for whatever reason it isn't sinking in, and yes I went to college. .

Steve
Its a utility type bench with minimal features that will still work.

I believe the wide front apron may be for stability (anti-racking) since much of the planing is lengthwise. You could also put some dogholes in it to hole a board for jointing.

Personally, I do not like benches made of soft wood. Some do, but I find they are more subject to movement, damage, and do not have the weight.

I also do not like the vise standing proud of the apron. It should be mortised in so the inner face is flush this provides much easier jointing on a long board.

I also don't understand his seeming reluctance for dogholes for using a bench hook. I find bench hooks indispensable and fast when chiselling for joinery.

I've watched the video the construction method is solid and he demonstrates building with minimal tools, which is the way he works, but will be helpful to someone just starting out.

Just my thoughts. I think the Roubo will serve you better but it really depends on what kind of ww'ing you will be doing.
rwe2156 said:

Its a utility type bench with minimal features that will still work.

I believe the wide front apron may be for stability (anti-racking) since much of the planing is lengthwise. You could also put some dogholes in it to hole a board for jointing.

Personally, I do not like benches made of soft wood. Some do, but I find they are more subject to movement, damage, and do not have the weight.

I also do not like the vise standing proud of the apron. It should be mortised in so the inner face is flush this provides much easier jointing on a long board.

I also don't understand his seeming reluctance for dogholes for using a bench hook. I find bench hooks indispensable and fast when chiselling for joinery.

I've watched the video the construction method is solid and he demonstrates building with minimal tools, which is the way he works, but will be helpful to someone just starting out.

Just my thoughts. I think the Roubo will serve you better but it really depends on what kind of ww'ing you will be doing.

I built this bench and have used it for nearly a year now. It's great. Was cheap, very effective, and doesnt budge at all when chopping or planing.

The clamp in a vise trick is an incredibly valuable and easy/fast workholding solution. And works much better for me than a tail vise or dog holes.
I like the PS style bench a lot. It is functional, inexpensive, and a nice bench to get in some experience using nothing but hand tools.

I did read somewhere a suggestion that said to skip the 2x4 bin, and go with 2x12 lumber. You can cut this down into 2x4s, and the wood quality is much better. This may be the route that I go when I undertake a bench build.
No doubt to this. Slightly more expensive, but you can end up with great quarter sawn fir for the top. I would advise some kind of powered saw for ripping if you do this though... I wouldn't want to add that workload to this project if you are not burning electrons.

I used 2x6's for the top however, it's around 5" final thickness. Cost around $100 in lumber.

I have changed and added to it in use, but it's a solid platform no doubt.
+1 ........ I think it is a great bench and find it quite comfortable and stable. Great bench for the money.

Steve
I agree with what you are saying, however I elected to not use any power tools other than my electric drill.

I did spend a lot of time at my local HD to be able to find decent enough 2 X 4's which was a pain, the crap wood they carry is shameful. If I ever was to build another bench it would be the same style and a little longer, also I would probably use 2 X 6's in lieu of 2 X 4's only because they looked a lot better. Not sure why I didn't other than I wanted to build it just like Paul did his. Did I tell you I love my #4 Bedrock .

Steve