How to polish a saw plate
I don't own a festool rotex, but if I had one I would probably fire it up too .
It's not necessary festool or any other brand (it's just happend that I have one ).
There are cheap polishers in every home center that will do the same job. Maybe not that fast, but wil do it much faster than hand.
As my expirience with polishing (anything, from brass, paint... to steel), hi quality polishing pate is one that will do the job. Polisher itself is secondary.
mirror glaze

Toby
Toby,

Good question about the slots...

It's been so long ago that I did that saw..... I think I cut those slots in the screw heads because they were turning when I tried to remove the handle initially. It was going to be an odd-ball saw anyway, so I figured, lets add some slots to make it easier to tighten the screws. That saw, BTW, performs as well as the John Deere tractor. Not sure, but perhaps the slotted screw heads might be contributing. Would need a consensus to determine one way or the other.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
MarvW said:

Toby,

Good question about the slots...

It's been so long ago that I did that saw..... I think I cut those slots in the screw heads because they were turning when I tried to remove the handle initially. It was going to be an odd-ball saw anyway, so I figured, lets add some slots to make it easier to tighten the screws. That saw, BTW, performs as well as the John Deere tractor. Not sure, but perhaps the slotted screw heads might be contributing. Would need a consensus to determine one way or the other.

Figures it had some logical reason. I assumed it was connected to the irreverence of painting the saw handle with such an iconic paint color and that you flipped the saw nuts just to add to the eclectic look. I guess that's what I get for spending too much time trying to understand modern art. I do think this saw is a work of art and has become iconic in its own right. Kind of like Andy Warhol meets fudge Art.

Before anyone starts, NO, I do not think that scenes painted on saw blades or lamps made from hand planes are works of art.

Steve
Thanks Marv,

You should use that saw handle for your avatar.

Toby
That's a good question. Usually, when one of our saw masters here post their instructions, they specify scraping and polishing directionally along the length of the saw. I don't know if the circular motion of a ROS would show in the results on the saw plate. You didn't notice any circular pattern???

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Probably advisable to at least wait until they release v.2.01. Also, what if my swirls aren't professional?

Cheers, Alf

In a sillier mood than usual, this afternoon.
"Geez, I got a dozen nailguns. ...I just huff-n-puff on the end of a short hose to make 'em fire off. That's how much a galoot I am." MikeW, 03/08/07

Toby