Toby
I'm thinking THIS is the stuff, right?

Autosol- Chrome And Metal Polish 100G, Price: $11.00

and not THIS:

Autosol Brass Aluminum Metal Polish 3.33oz.(75 ml) Tube, Price: $15.99
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Rob Lee to the rescue: look here.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
Try just the aluminum foil and water, It's an old way to remove rust from chrome wheels and bumpers.

Read the link I posted above.

Toby
Hi, that is in fact how I began TobyC, I used foil and water, it will gently remove tarnish, then I thought, why not pair this up with metal polish to get multiple steps in one go? It shined up a plate I was testing on so nice that I was shocked and was less messy than using water, then I began doing it to a D-8 panel saw and I love how it turned out. I say to use a high quality metal polish like the autosol sold by Lee Valley because I tried it with brasso and I wasn't too pleased, you don't get the same level of polish from brasso from better polishes.
Cool. How does the etch look?

Toby
I haven't started on the Disston 7 shown, but I can show you how the test saw, the D-8 panel turned out :

I made no special effort around the etch, I polished like I just didn't care, but I'm still testing this out so please exercise some caution so I don't have a lot of people saying I ruined their saw etches. From what I know, I just don't see how foil and metal polish can ruin an etch unless you polish till your arm falls off. With this particular saw, after scraping, I did hit it with a klingspor medium (220 grit?) rust eraser on stubborn areas, I omitted that step with the Disston 7 though, so you can hit the plate with some abrasive for coarse rust clean up, but then I've had luck just jumping straight to foil and polish.

IMG_2559 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_2560 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr
Thanks for posting this Christian. It looks like I will be giving this method a try in the near future.
Isaac
Blackburn Tools - simply classic
Blog
I just tried it. WOW! Simple and effective, really effective.
ken
Thanks Christian,
I'll have to try that. I like it when someone takes their own path, instead of just blindly following others. Good job!!!

Toby