How to polish a saw plate
n00b question, Dominic: What is freshly de-blued?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I bought my first saw like 10 days ago. As I said, n00b question.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

That's a good question. Usually, when one of our saw masters here post their instructions, they specify scraping and polishing directionally along the length of the saw. I don't know if the circular motion of a ROS would show in the results on the saw plate. You didn't notice any circular pattern???

No swirls that I can see (on the other hand I'm 50 years old so my eyes are not so good as before
Smile)

Scraping (or sanding) is very "coarse" compared to polishing.

6000 is very fine grit for material hard as steel.
Of cousre, there are 8000 and 10000 grits, that I'm sure will do the job if 6000 make swirls.

I will try it again on some newer saw plate where any eventual swirls wil be more noticable.

Only problem that I had was near the toots of the saw, where ROS can grab, but you can do that part by hand.
Matt,
When I get the steel in its "raw" form it has a blue coloring that is a result of the tempering process. A quick bath in citric acid removes that.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Marv,

I have a friend who collects the Disston Keystone saws. That K-1 that you worked on may have been a cheapie when it was new, but it is now considered the holy grail for collectors of the of the Keystone line. He has only seen one for sale in 20 years and it went for several hundred dollars.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Anything is collectible by someone.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
MarvW said:

Anything is collectible by someone.

When she was 2 yrs old, my daughter offered me a nickel for a big dust bunny I was about to throw in the trash. I told her for a dime, she could keep all she found.

My wife and I were highly embarrassed at how successful that little 2 year old was in her searches.

Marv, if you find another, don't paint it green. Any shade of green...

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I did quick polish to compare Al-foil/hand and ROS.

Hand

ROS

What I noticed is that hand is better on hard pitted area, and ROS was better on area that is nice and flat. Probably ROS just jump over pitting and can't touch it. I may try with some polishing sponge.

As talking about circular or swirl pattern, ROS is much better. I deliberatly used ROS on the edge only so it rotates perpendicular to the saw lenght, and there are no pattern.

Hand job. You can see fine scratch lines. I did part of it mooving Al foil in saw direction, and part moving it in circular motion.

Used autosol and aluminum foil on a rusty pitted axe blade last night. Only gave it a couple of minutes on each side and it sure took off a ton of nasty brown stuff. It'll never get shiny, but thought this might be a good solution for cleaning grimy rusty tools. May have been more effective if I washed the grime off with Simple Green before using the foil.

By the way, we need a name for the technique of using metal polish with aluminum foil. I'm not creative enough. Foilishing? Pfoiling?

Steve
Steve Friedman said:

By the way, we need a name for the technique of using metal polish with aluminum foil. I'm not creative enough. Foilishing? Pfoiling?

I vote for

AlFPol

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Blacky's Boy said:

AlFPol
Confusedmilewink

Wouldn't we need Alf's permission for that?

Steve