How to polish a saw plate
TobyC said:

Castillo Polishing Method

CP Meth......(maybe not)

Castillo Process

CasPro

Christian Clean

Toby

I'm rather quite fond of those, the meth one... not so much.
Yep Foiled works and fits, good choice.

Steve
Hmmm, I don't know what kind of abrassive foil you have in the States, but I don't really see much difference overhere. I used another brand of chrome polish, couldn't find autosol, and after some vigorous shrubbing, the effect really is minimal.
I have been following this thread and decided to give it a try.

WOW!!! I am truley amazed the results are astonishing. I guess the rest of my day will be spend FOILING AROUND!!!!! in the shop.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Corneel said:

Hmmm, I don't know what kind of abrassive foil you have in the States, but I don't really see much difference overhere. I used another brand of chrome polish, couldn't find autosol, and after some vigorous shrubbing, the effect really is minimal.

I have asked myself the same questions, because I also have got only minimum results with this method.

This is the starting saw.

Here, I removed the most of the rust with a scraper and with a steel brush.

Here I applied the automotive polish to the half right of the saw and I rubbed it with aluminum foil.

This is the result: there is not much difference between the two halves.

This instead is the result I get with my usual sequence of sandpaper, with the polish used only in the final step, as I usually do.

I apologize for the horrible screwdrivers...
It appears that the staining and rust pitting on the saw was deeper more severe than just polish alone was able to remove...no amount of scrubbing with a mild abrasive like polish can remove that...I use 600grit silicon carbide powder sometimes as a beginning abrasive, but I think your saw's condition was more severe than even that can remove.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I couldn't resist jumping on this bandwagon. I started out with a late model Spear and Jackson that was in fairly good condition to begin with. I used nothing other than crumpled up aluminum foil and AutoSol. I was happy with how it worked on it, and will play around with it on some saws that are in worse condition.

Before and after:

I'm not saying it's a miracle worker, but I did try it on the handle, too. Worked pretty well there, too.

Isaac
Blackburn Tools - simply classic
Blog
That must have been some "special" AutoSol you used on the handle!!

Toby
Corneel said:

spent part of the morning "foiling", and as it stands right now---I am far from impressed. Maybe I am doing it wrong, maybe I started with saws that where to heavily rusted, maybe I am expecting to much from it, I dunno, but so far, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, I am giving this a 2 at best.

I will also disclose that I am using the Meguiar's "Metal Finishing Polish", so perhaps it is too fine of a grit. I dunno.
You wouldn't say that if a juju man had messed with your mojo. Kizar 7-19-13

But when an outsider threatens our President, and a miserable camel humping piece of pig turd at that, Charlie D. 2/3/15

Timberwolf said:

...I use 600grit silicon carbide powder sometimes as a beginning abrasive

.......and just where can this be obtained from Jack? What the Hades, I might as well throw a few more bucks into this rathole.
You wouldn't say that if a juju man had messed with your mojo. Kizar 7-19-13

But when an outsider threatens our President, and a miserable camel humping piece of pig turd at that, Charlie D. 2/3/15