Resawing on a 14" Bandsaw
Lots of folks only have a 14" bandsaw similar to my CI Delta. When it comes to resawing, many see such a saw as limited in capability, both by the 6" height limit as well as it's inability to adequately tension even a 1/2" blade. But by making a few simple upgrades to my BS I can now resaw pretty wide stock and even thin veneers with confidence. Here's how.

Here's a photo of my 14" Delta as it was set-up today for resawing some 5" wide white oak veneer.

As you'll see I have a riser block installed. It's actually a Powermatic riser, but I got a good deal on it and it fit the Delta with only a couple of modifications. Other key upgrades are the 1.5 HP motor that now drives the saw, and an Iturra high tension spring. The 1.5 HP makes it possible to more easily resaw stock greater than 6" thick, and the Iturra spring allows me to put at least 10,000 psi on a 1/2" blade. That's no where near what most blade manufacturers recommend, but that's all these saws are capable of and the good news is it's enough.

Speaking of blades, I'm now using Olson MVP bi-metal 1/2 x 3 tpi blades for resawing. They really wouldn't track very well right out of the box. It was only after I resharpened the 1/2" one on my chainsaw grinder that I was able to get it to track straight. It was sharp, but I'm guessing it wasn't equally sharp on both sides. Anyway, it cuts beautifully straight now, and the fence is set parallel to the miter slot. IMO, allowing for drift just means something else is still not right. The guides are Cool Blocks with the standard bearings behind.

There are two other key features worth mentioning. I installed short sections of some old Unisaw rails I had so I could use the fence on the saw. I added a supplemental tall fence to the stock fence. Also note the Rockler feather boards, stacked up two high in the miter slot. They apply force to hold the work against the tall fence. To keep most of the sawdust out of the saw I fabricated a dust collection system that is just a piece a 1-1/2 or 2" (can't remember, but my standard vacuum hose fits nicely up into it) PVC elbow that fits up under the table, around the blade, and is held onto the saw with a metal bracket that fits over the right bolt of the lower wheel cover. The vacuum doesn't get all the sawdust, but certainly more than 75% or it.

Here's a photo as I was sawing the white oak veneer today. Each veneer was 0.10" thick and very consistent top to bottom and front to back. Maximum deviation was on the order of 0.005".

And here are the veneers I cut from the two boards.

These veneer were only 4-1/2 to 5" wide, but here's a photo of a 10-1/4" bird's eye maple veneer I cut a few weeks ago. It was no more difficult, although the feed rate might have been a little slower.

A bigger BS would be nice, but it's not really necessary for resawing in a small shop. I hope some find this helpful.

John

Very nice set up! Thanks for sharing.

I think you enhanced your work with the used of the doubled feather boards to keep the stock against the fence.

I have the Delta 14" as well. For re-saw, I use a 3/8" blade, which allows me to gain some more tension. I'll keep an eye open for a replacement spring to gat a bit more tension--though I've had great success with the stock spring up to 6" white oak stock----haven't had to get wider as I'm mostly resawing to get 1/2" thickness stock for small projects.
Dave
I have a Grizzly 14" and don't have any trouble resawing up to 8" or so. I use a 3/4" blade and don't seem to have any trouble with the tracking. I'll have to try a 1/2" some time.
The older I get the faster I was.
I also use 3/8" 3 TPI Hook blades, and I use roller guides. Initially, it took some practice, but soon I was easily making panels and laminations. I have an old Harbor freight 14" saw, that I installed a Grizzly riser, and a 3 HP motor on, 8 or 9 years ago. I was a bit apprehensive at first, about the extra power, but its been a great tool.

Mike

I never had any luck resawing with my 14" Delta until I switched to quality blades. With a good blade, I've had very good results.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Jtenek,

I have this same bandsaw (though the color looks different) and I don't think I have that dust port like yours. Is that something you added later or was it part of the bandsaw itself?
handi said:

I never had any luck resawing with my 14" Delta until I switched to quality blades. With a good blade, I've had very good results.
Ralph

Come on Ralph. Can't leave us hangin. What blade did you switch to, that resaws good? What did you use before?
I have an old Delta 14" saw, and just got a riser setup, and will need to buy a resaw blade. So, I'm interested in recommendations.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
themoon said:

Jtenek,

I have this same bandsaw (though the color looks different) and I don't think I have that dust port like yours. Is that something you added later or was it part of the bandsaw itself?

My BS is a different color because I painted it when I rehabbed it many years ago. The dust port is a PVC pipe elbow that I cut so that it would fit up under the table, around the blade. A metal bracket, held on by the right handwheel of the lower guard, holds it in place.

John
jteneyck said:

[blockquote]themoon said:

Jtenek,

My BS is a different color because I painted it when I rehabbed it many years ago. The dust port is a PVC pipe elbow that I cut so that it would fit up under the table, around the blade. A metal bracket, held on by the right handwheel of the lower guard, holds it in place.

John

[/blockquote]

Thanks for the reply, think I'm going to try this on my own.
I have a 1/4" timberwolf on my 2HP Delta with 12" riser. I've been using the same blade for several years and it tracked perfectly until about a week ago when I started cutting the 8" tall head rest for my Hal Walker rocking chair (3rd this year). The head rest is mounted on a home made carrier that moves the head rest in a 29" radius past the blade. The blade began pulling away from the cut line until it was off almost a 1/4" before I stopped the saw and backed the blade out of the cut. Because it had cut the head rest perfectly before, I think that my blade has finally gotten too dull so I will have to replace it before I make the cut. Fortunately, the head rest was extra thick so I havent't ruined my blank. I will just have to reposition the cut and start the cut over when I get the new blade on the saw. On the other hand, I have a Grizzly 636X with a 1 1/4" blade on it that I could replace with a smaller blade to make the cut but I hate to change BS blades. Anyone know the minimum radius that you can cut with a 1 1/4" blade with carbide tips? Ken