Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why?
My junker Kunz, slightly improved with a file and greatly improved with a Hock blade. It just works.

Round bottom Lee Valley, for curves, of course.

And this one.

[Image: Maple%20spokeshave%20Nov%202010%201-M.jpg]

Homemade, with Hock blade (not shown). It works well enough, but more importantly, the body is a rare chunk of maple. I love the way it looks.

Update Feb 2017 -- I have a better home brew shave now. They are easy to make. Search for "TeachShave."
[Image: Spokeshaves%20Dec%202012%2006-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Stanley 85.

It is a boxwood shave with a fully adjustable steel mouth and a hollow ground blade that gets wicked sharp. It serves both as a wood hog and a precision instrument and, with the blade skewed, it can be both at once. Lie-nielsen made a great copy for a while, but I don't see it on the LN web site anymore.
One of the best, IMO.....Lee Valley offered a kit for building your own low angle shave and I bought one..But haven't built it yet...It's only been about ten years tho..

The old #53 still has a place in my heart!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Zombie thread resurrection. Sorry.
This is a photo of the type of chairs I used to build. Six years a chairmaker, that's how I cut my teeth. Ironically, that's my Townsend/Goddard secretary behind it. I made chairs for a living, I built the secretary because I was a hobbyist.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would say most differently there is nothing to be sorry about and I missed this thread.

Since I know nothing about spoke shaves and have looked at the Lee Valley ones just this month they sure look nice.  I also seen about 6 to 9 months ago that Woodcraft was selling the Groz ones cheap but they did not look to hot or should I say not to easy to use.

I know I would love to know how to make a chair and furniture and make my wife all the nice stuff we never could afford in the military or if anyone had anything nice the movers always abused it in all the moves we made.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've got Stanley, Record, one Kuntz and two Veritas low-angle.  One is permanently fixed for flat, one for curved work.  For spoon carvers, they're both drawknife and shave.  When I demonstrated at school, the kids caught on to them the fastest, which has to be some sort of recommendation.  No chatters, skips and jumps, just smooth surface. 

Recommend them.  http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.as...50230&ap=1
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-18-2013, 02:56 PM)John Wrote: I am in the market for some spokeshaves and I was wondering which ones you guys like and why?

Thanks!

John
The Stanley #53 is my favorite, John...The adjustable mouth puts it in a class by itself for me..I can "hog the wood" or I can adjust it to take wispy shavings...cheap and readily available on the used tool market.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-18-2013, 02:56 PM)John Wrote: I am in the market for some spokeshaves and I was wondering which ones you guys like and why?

Thanks!

John
The Stanley #53 is my favorite, John...by virtue of the adjustable mouth...you can take very fine shavings or you can hog the wood, just by turning two thumb screws..Cheap and readily available...

http://www.sawdustandshavings.com/hand_t...review.asp

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thank you guys for all the effort in your replies. I've just done a couple of gunstocks and the fairing the mold stations for a cedar strip canoe with a Stanley #151.The plywood of the mold stations did a number on the factory blade but it was the only tool that job. A disc sander was too risky,big mistakes quickly.
A man of foolish pursuits
I really enjoy using my LN Boggs shave.  But you definitely have to use it in a different way than the regular stanley.  Once I was able to figure it out, it's perfect for me.  At first I was ready to send it back to Maine. lol