Post pics of your homemade tools

I retract my "not a whole of experiance in general" remark!

You wouldn't say that if a juju man had messed with your mojo. Kizar 7-19-13

But when an outsider threatens our President, and a miserable camel humping piece of pig turd at that, Charlie D. 2/3/15

barryvabeach said:

I am happy with the overall project,

As you should be! Well done!
Quote:

though it contains several hundred mistakes.

I only see four mistakes. Every single one of them regarding the surface accoutrements resting directly upon the top. That was tongue-in-cheek, seriously, a very well executed project!
Todd, you can stick with your original statement, there are really hundreds of mistakes, among the more obvious, I coopered the lower doors, and made the upper doors out of thin slats of mahogany glued to a form to curve them, then used the same veneer for the drawers and doors - but came up with the brilliant idea to run the door veneer vertically and the drawer veneer horizontally, so they ended up looking different shades even though the finishing schedule was identical. I ended up adding some toner to the drawers, but the color still doesn't match. My original post was just trying to make the point that a tool doesn't need to be pretty to work ( I would get up on a soapbox and scream that out load, except that some of you might point out that I own a handful of Norris infills that are just a joy to work with based on their looks)
barryvabeach said:

I would get up on a soapbox and scream that out load, except that some of you might point out that I own a handful of Norris infills that are just a joy to work with based on their looks

I remember the picture you posted of your tool cabinet and was tempted to comment, but didn't - - - till now.

Steve
barryvabeach said:

Todd, thanks. I actually had a project that was quite above my skill level, so I kept delaying each step in any way I could, often by making another tool. This one was to trim the dovetails for a sliding dovetail joint. Not all that critical a joint, but the fit came okay, and I am happy with the overall project, though it contains several hundred mistakes.

One thing I know for sure about is mistakes...

Your project looks great to me. There will always be mistakes. What you have done transcends them.

Leif
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
Nordic said:

One thing I know for sure about is mistakes...

You know, now I don't feel so bad about that box I have filled with screwed up saw handles!

That's why I tend to make three of everything. God knows I usually find a creative way to mess up at least one of them.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Your difinition of "mistakes" and mine are apparently a bit different. Yours--at least me me--are more like "Things I now wish I had done differently", where to my way of thinking it means "oops, I cut on the wrong side of the layout line".

Of coarse, the great thing about most "mistakes" such as yours is that it is only you that knows about them.
You wouldn't say that if a juju man had messed with your mojo. Kizar 7-19-13

But when an outsider threatens our President, and a miserable camel humping piece of pig turd at that, Charlie D. 2/3/15

I have some wide (18-20") yellow cedar I need to thickness for a 6-board chest I want to build. They aren't going through my planer so I tuned up my #6 as a fore plane with an 8" camber on the blade.

I needed some winding sticks though. The Schwarz had an article on winding sticks that appealed to me so I made a pair-

They're 24" X 2" X 1/2". The interesting feature are the "windows" on each end-

The bar across the top is under beveled to put it in shadow, although that is hard to see with the bright sun behind me. CS thought they were pretty cool and said he was going to make a pair and report back, but I never saw a follow-up. Maybe he decided they sucked and let them die a quiet death. Guess I'll find out when I put them to the test. If the windows don't work as advertised it won't be too difficult to modify them with a strip of contrasting wood for a more conventional approach.
Up again.

I know that there are more new ones out there

Let's see em folks
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
I really want to make some more planes, but unfortunately it's not at the top of the list right now