What size skew to start?
When I finally decided to learn how to use a skew I picked up a 1" flat skew, and after watching a bunch of videos started getting it down. The first practice spindle that I got smooth and cylindrical was a proud moment. (I told my wife and she gave me a "That's nice honey.") I had been using an oval 1/2" before and found it difficult to sharpen and control. I might be able to use it now but gave it away.

Doug
Mike

I like from 3/4 to 1 1/4 the best but have a 1". To me that is easy to use and keep the cutting edge easy to the lower half of the blade.
I have used 1/4" on small turnings which is really nice too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jim

This is how I use the skew.

1. I raise the tool rest until just under the top of the wood.
2. I put the skew on it on the flat part of the tool.
3. I raise the tool until it starts cutting and on the lower 1/2 of the tool and then take my time in advancing it along the wood.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi, All. OP here. Good to see this thread still going. FYI, I ended up with a 1" skew and like it although I haven't had enough garage time to get really comfortable with it. That'll come.
They are great for turning acrylic pen blanks, you get a nice smooth finish.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I currently use a 3/4" flat skew. I'm actually starting to get somewhat comfortable in it's use and am starting to learn what I might like better.
I have some old carbon steel larger ones that need handles. I'm going to go ahead and put one of those together too. I think the larger size will be a little easier to use on long straight tapers.
So far I haven't had any problems with digging in or nicks on the tool rest. I filed it once about 5 years ago when I restored the lathe and haven't touched it since.
Rodney
This video is the best one I've seen teaching you how to use a skew.  Watching is far better than words.  One thing I believe helps a lot is to use a diamond hone after you come off the grinder.  Sharper is better with the skew.

Screw the Skew
Still Learning,

Allan Hill