Plans for box for Stanley 45 plane
I have a 45 plane that doesn't have a box. I would like to build a replica just to give the plane a nice home. I would like to make it look similar to the original. I'm not trying to pull the wool over someone's eye in the future, just thought it would be a nice project. Does anyone have the dimensions? Thanks!
Here's the scoop on my Montgomery Wards 45 box:

Funny enough, I just noticed the green "Stanley combination Plow and beading plane" sticker on one end of the box.

Overall length: 12 1/16"
overall width: 5 3/4"
overall height: 6 1/4"

sides and ends are joined with a box joint 1/8" x 7/16"

top slides in a groove plowed out of the sides. No groove in back which is full height. top has a rabbet on each side 1/8" x 3/8" for the groove. There is a "D" shaped cutout in the top to make it easier to slide. Top is flush with the sides. Mine could use a swipe or two from a shoulder plane to loosen it up.

Bottom is nailed on and is full size to overall width and depth. About 1/4" thick.

Sides and ends are about 1/2" thick.

Overall quality is horrible with enormous radial machine marks on all surfaces. Best guess at the wood species is oak (wood ID is not a strongpoint).

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Carl
Sounds about like my box, but it's pine
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Carl Grover said:

Best guess at the wood species is oak (wood ID is not a strongpoint).

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Carl

Good job Carl ..... but I'm pretty sure the original Stanley boxes were Chestnut .... at least the dozen or so I have are ....

Red
I have a Sweetheart vintage 45 with the box; here's the detailed particulars if you want to build an exact replica; don't worry about pulling the wool over someone's eyes, the decals are very hard to come by:

Stock is 5/16 thick, finger jointed construction.

Exterior dimensions: 12 3/8 x 7 1/2

Bottom section overall is 3 3/4" deep, with bottom nailed on; just the finger jointed portion is 3 7/16" without counting the bottom

Top is 1 5/8 with the top glued on (I couldn't find any brads); just the finger jointed portion is 1 5/16 without the top.

Inside the bottom there is an angled bar nailed to the bottom, 1" high x 3/4 wide, with two holes on the left, the first 11/16 on center from the right side, the second 1 13/16 on center. I couldn't get the precise angle of the bar, but its bottom left end is 2 1/8" from the front left inside corner, the top right is 2" from the upper right inside corner.

the iron storage is on the right, with two slots for 1/8" stock; two 1/8 dados , the first 3/16ths from the inside edge, the second 3/16ths from the left edge of the first dado. These dados are in both the top and bottom.

In the top is a stop block to keep the irons in tight when the lid is closed, it is glued into the right side of the top, 9/16 wide and 13/16 tall.

Here's some pics to give you some orientation, and to show the hardware:

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral:

That is an interesting box ... must be a late model that was not produced for very long ... I have several of the sliding lid boxes, several of the tin boxes and a few of the cardboard ones. The Ward's, Fulton and Sear's boxes I have are taller and narrower than yours. That resembles a Sargent box .....

If the OP has a late model 45 (Type 5?) this would be a good box for him .... my Ward's box is mahogany and it's beautiful.... it's 12"w 8"d & 7-1/4"h

" />

Red
Mine is a late model Sweetheart, circa 1930 +/-
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Carl Grover said:

Here's the scoop on my Montgomery Wards 45 box:
Carl

My MonkeyWard box is cardboard. Doubt anybody wants to duplicate that!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
This thread couldn't have come along at a better time. I have been thinking about making box for my 45 and was curious about the dimensions, just never thought about asking!
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Richard .......... Nice looking Box, I have an earlier Model without the blade adjuster and a set of non original Record irons which work. It is a little fussy to set up though.

I see another future project , if I keep this one.

Thanks for sharing !

Steve