Great video
This was posted elsewhere but I think it deserves a wider audience: a professionally shot video of a furniture maker in Madrid constructing a drop-leaf table.

All hand tools, but there's something for everyone - woodies, a Veritas low-angle plane, a Japanese plane, Japanese saws, freehand sharpening on waterstones, a vintage round plane late on.

About 40 minutes... pull up a beverage and enjoy!

Drop-leaf table video
Thanks for helping me kill the last 40 mins at work
~ Chris
Fun watch, thanks for the posting.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Simply, "WOW"
Thanks very nice. Really good lighting and macro on the sharpening among others. I wish that I could saw to a line like he does and then maybe my joints would go together like his.

BTW given that the audio was all ambient I see why they hand him wear a mic.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Inspirational! I sure envy the space he has available. Thanks for posting.
JR1 said:

Thanks very nice. Really good lighting and macro on the sharpening among others. I wish that I could saw to a line like he does and then maybe my joints would go together like his.

BTW given that the audio was all ambient I see why they hand him wear a mic.

Making him the only thing in the shop with a cord...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
My hands were aching watching him use his to pound those joints together!
~ Chris
Rob Young said:

Making him the only thing in the shop with a cord...

Well, I spotted a drill press and a Tormek - that hollow bevel seems to give him a good registration when he's freehanding at the water stones. But what I enjoyed most was seeing just how efficient he is with hand tools: the way that bowsaw cuts about an inch per stroke, and the scrub plane eating up that rough-sawn lumber.

I also learned a few things. Putting the finish on before assembly is something I'm definitely going to try in future.
Very well done video.

Here is a translation (Google) of the intro on his website, worth reading:

A happy work

"It's this life happy? Can you call this living? Is there anything in the world less tolerable, do not say to a man of good heart, or a well-born man, but only to anyone with an ounce of common sense, or, without more, a remnant of humanity? Habrase? Another way of life more miserable, lacking everything, when you could enjoy free will, freedom, your body and life?"

Etienne de la Boetie.

Buschmann Fine Woodworks is a project that opens in a workshop , offering space and time from which to reflect on a time of crisis that carries a complexity that is still difficult to decipher us from where we are . Buschmann Woodworks Fine seeking answers from the recovery of craftsmanship with wood.

Frank Buschmann is formed as creator, industrial designer and cabinetmaker . Originally from Germany he spent his childhood between South Africa and Nigeria , adolescence and training between Germany and Holland. His professional career has been marked by their experimental spirit , often working independently and linked to projects that push the boundaries and established definitions.

After a long journey, influenced in the beginning by the woodwork, then by design , cultural management , conceptualization of ideas , art , cooperation and etc. . , Returns to the wood. This time , with the intention of defending a pure approach and high demands .

It is said that crises serve to cause a change in the look direction and sometimes it all turns into a paradigm shift . But he also said that, in general, instead of projecting them into the future, we become psychologically retrospective , taking refuge in those days which were apparently better . There are also positions . Position is timeless : you can take any crisis as a moment of opportunity in which to make their precarious another indicator of increased wealth. Is the position of the continuous present: the crisis takes it as a symbol of struggle and resistance , and claim social bond with remember and renew the spirit of the values ​​sleepy .

But there are also those who take positions to wish another world to come. Those are the ones , after all , need to always be placed on a future time : are reviewing the past in perspective and whether always to reinvent . The timeless state is a bad sign for them because only offers opportunism. Sympathize with the present continuous , but join their fight from another place, difficult to understand, because there is always a process of identification .

Throughout recent history , the relationship between life and work has been consolidating a journey of dispossession and disidentification throwing the individual to a continuous weakening and painful identity . It is the first industrial revolution which is carried out first operation of dispossession for the individual. This occurs through the transfer of labor and manual work life and machinic life, work and life or manufacturing craft work and life in the factory.

As a result of this operation , manual or craft skills acquired through experience , which involves an ongoing relationship exploration and innovation with form, become surveillance and monitoring work on the machines. The system of relations between our intellectual being and our body be at work and in life do not happen the way associated with or through its materiality. It is the beginning of the rise of an intermediary company , management and services.

There is a second dispossession happens due to the passage of a Fordist production to a post-Fordist production. A second industrial revolution with the introduction of technological equipment , opened its doors to the domain of communication industry . In her information , knowledge , language, and thought become the principal productive force mobilized by capitalism. The work appropriates "life" , ie , the set of specifically human qualities. "Life put to work " and the service that Virno says. This is an extreme and radical dematerialization. The development and promotion of an impossibility and inability to understand a world that, although our power more than ever , suffers from total disidentification .

From that state, and from this place is where Bella Woodworks Buschmann stir in the meaning of life , knowledge and work aims . From a practical , above all, performative and radical that is held in a processual do with the cultivation of neglected such as dedication , endurance, acceptance from the discomfort , loving and caring attitudes recovers. These , put to work as belts, take their final shape in the wood.

Buschmann Fine Woodworks is also an ethical challenge to principles such as freedom, knowledge sharing , peace , environmental protection , justice and solidarity with the complexity of the duality. We are nearby , basic and common while others, easily damaged and incommensurable . Frank repeated mantra key approaches such as Gandhi and made us to question us on how we engage with the world to wonder at the beauty of a fabric if this has occurred with blood.

The work of Frank Buschmann is a " reenactment " that seeks to return the " worldliness " to the world , back to the world those things that comprise it. That " worldliness " that Arendt as we said, is necessary to recognize the system of relations in it , insist on their history and language and noted , especially the need to protect our common world .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis