Walnut hand tool cabinet build along
I started work on my hand tool cabinet. I thought I would post some pics as I go. I am an extremely average woodworker and a slightly less than average photographer. So this won't be magazine quality, but should be fun anyway.

I got the lumber milled up last night and hope to get the sides, top and bottom cut to size tonight so I can start on the dovetails.

Rough cut to size, ready for the planer:

I will explain the chalk marks below:

And since it is a hand tool cabinet, I figure I better use a few hand tools along the way. Here I am flattening the faces after skip planning the boards.

Regarding the chalk marks on the sides of the boards in the second pic, I want to have the doors and sides grain match up. So I cut them out of one wider board. The sides will be 5-1/2" deep and the doors will be 3" deep. So I marked the edges of both sides pieces with the outside door sides so I can make sure to keep them together. (This may make more sense later)

More pics coming soon...
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
Nice!

As one who voted for the walnut, I am glad you are writing this up as a build along.

The chalk marks make sense.
Ain't nothin' better than a tool cabinet build thread
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
Gotta love a build thread, thanks for sharing
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Dovetails are under way. I had some pens to turn and other few items slow me down but I'm back to work on it for now. I hope to make some progress each week. But life sometimes has other plans.

And my little shop helper wanted to learn how to saw dovetails too.

This project will progress quickly, I believe. After all, you have help!

I'll bet she helps keep you focused on your shop tasks, with her level of interest.

Dave
It's been too hot lately to do much in the shop. The rain coming through this weekend is really going to cool things down. But I do have the cabinet dovetailed together (not glued yet). I will be resawing some poplar for the back and making the shelf that runs horizontally along the bottom third of the cabinet. That will be done this weekend.

Cabinet sides and back dovetailed

Looking forward to seeing this develop and nice to see a youthful helper.

One question for you though what is "skip planing"? Not a term I have come across on this side of the Atlantic.

Jim
Skip planing is basically rough planing the board down. Not with the goal of getting it perfectly flat yet, just knocking off the high spots and revealing the grain. If you don't have a power jointer it can be a handy first step when milling rough cut lumber.

Yetloh said:

One question for you though what is "skip planing"? Not a term I have come across on this side of the Atlantic.

I have, on this side of the Atlantic, seen it referred to as "hit and miss" planing. As noted, the process of knocking off the high spots without getting to finished quality on the whole surface.