Finally finished up my Disston No.77 no set back saw...w/pics
Posted about this little back saw a while back on here .

It actually cleaned up pretty well. Since the back had evidently been hammered down a few times at the front I had to remove it and install it correctly. I had to joint the edge down quite a bit to get past the "set" in the teeth. Yes, most any of these no set saws I've run into have had some set put in the teeth. All the jointing required filing in pretty much new teeth. There's been discussion in the past whether these small No.77's actually had 12ppi teeth followed by 8ppi and I wondered myself. The before pictures I have actually prove this was the case.

As per Disstons instructions, this was filed with 45 degrees of bevel. This drastically changes the tooth shape from the reshaped 60 degree profile, basically to keep the 15 degree rake the back of the tooth is the one that changes.

[/image]

This saw couldn't have seen much use as a small portion of the paper label on the handle remains and the blade was still pretty wide.

Do these little saws cut fast and smooth as Disston claimed. In a few words, yes they can if set up properly. These weren't just gimmickry on Disstons part, they actually will work in practice. They really were meant "For Mechanics Not Botchers"

Take care,
Daryl
Nice rescue on a rare saw Daryl! I always enjoy seeing the results of your work.

Richard
Daryl Weir said:

"For Mechanics Not Botchers"

They said it like it was back in the day...

Nice work, Daryl.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Wow, nice job! What were Disston's sharpening instructions?

Thanks
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Nice!!! Did you take the cant/taper out or is that an illusion in the before and after photos?
bdog01 said:

Nice!!! Did you take the cant/taper out or is that an illusion in the before and after photos?

Quote:

Since the back had evidently been hammered down a few times at the front I had to remove it and install it correctly.

whoops... I claim to have been so enamored with the photos, I missed that bit of text
Daryl nice job on that saw, I enjoy seeing your re - habs.

Steve
bdog01 said:

whoops... I claim to have been so enamored with the photos, I missed that bit of text

Just lookin' at the pitchers!
enjuneer said:

[blockquote]Daryl Weir said:

"For Mechanics Not Botchers"

They said it like it was back in the day...

Nice work, Daryl.

[/blockquote]

With everything being so darn politically correct these days, some company would probably get sued for putting that on a saw today.

I could go on about my feelings on this subject but that would be better stated in the basement, trouble is I don't go there!

Thanks for the kudos guys, it's appreciated.
Take care,
Daryl