Storage drawers in a bed, how?
LOML would like the below bed from pottery barn but with storage drawers in the bed rails. I'm trying to figure out how to do the super structure for the drawers and still make it so you can take the bed (headboard, footboard, rails) apart. I'm thinking of making each bed rail with a frame for the drawers and small legs in the middle of the bed to support the back of the drawers.

Anyone done this and how?

Thanks.

Steve

"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I'm thinking along the lines that you are.

Put dados in the runners/supports that run the length of the bed. Drill them for lag bolts. Put perpendicular runners (for supporting your drawers) across, seated in the dadoes, and screw them into place. You'll still be able to take it apart.

Through nuts and bolts might be a better choice if it'll be taken down regularly.
Semper fi,
Brad

You could build the drawer super-structure as a complete unit that connects to the rails in the same way the rails connect to the head/foot boards:

Courtesy of Woodcraft:

It wouldn't be inexpensive, but also wouldn't come apart.
~Dan.
In that particular bed the box spring sits in between the rails. There is no place for drawers. You could elminiate the box spring and place the mattress on a platform. If you do that then the platform will need support and that support structure can also support drawers. If you keep the box spring then you have two choices. Widen the rails and you make the bed very high. Or place the drawers under the box spring, in which case the drawer box can rest on the floor.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Here is how I did mine with mortise and tenon between the bed rails and the foot and head board.

Here is a test assembly of the bed before I assembled the box for the drawers which also supports the mattress.

Here are the mortises in the head board

and in the foot board to receive the bed rails.

And the completed bed.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Seems to be the one step Alan doesn't show in his pics, and in your pic there is what appears to be an absence of "center legs" I'm thinking there is a solid rail running from headboard to footboard where the back side of the drawer boxes hang supported. I think if there were any type of a load your thought about center legs would allow for much better support though. In the pic you post if they are there, they have airbrushed them out of the pic. But then I'm not real clear if there are drawers in the pic you've posted. If yours is a regular bed, and doesn't yet have drawers, you may want to make sure Mom knows that the box springs are going to be some higher than that pic shows them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
There is NO box spring on our bed. If there is some detail you would like to see I might have a picture of it. These are just a few of the many pictures I took of this build.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Thanks everyone, you've given me some good ideas. Nice bed Alan

To be clear, LOML wants me to build this bed to look like the pic above but with drawers. The bed will be a platform bed with no box springs. I'm planning to use 3/4" plywood for the mattress sitting on a ledge down each rail and the drawer boxes. I'll plan on legs for the back of the boxes.

Steve
Bump
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
What size bed are you making? A very good friend of mine is a manager at Mattress Warehouse. He told me all beds they sell have a bed frame center support rail. On a full size bed, the center support will have one foot and on a queen or king, there will be two feet on the center rail. Twin beds do not have a bed frame center rail support. He also says that the center support is an absolute must to keep the mattress warranty in tact. He explained that most mattresses fail due to lack of support and this voids the warranty. According to him, mattresses are heavier than years past and the weight may eventually stress the frame if it doesn't have the center support. In addition, if a customer wants to use the mattress warranty, the mattress manufacture will send a representative out to see the bed and mattress. If there is no center rail with a foot or feet, the warranty is void, no questions asked, it's that simple. So if the bed is going to be larger than a twin, I strongly recommend that you install a center foot. Regardless if you can make it without it. And if it's a customer you're making it for, you don't want them coming back on you because you neglected to build it according to mattress manufacture specifications. Just sayin.