A recent dovetail saw, koa handle
At one of the LN Hand Tool Events this spring, the LN staff gave me a small piece of koa to use for saw handles. Because it was so narrow, the only saw handle I could squeeze out of it was one for a nine inch dovetail saw. Even that was a bit of a stretch, so I ended up using a little epoxy and CA glue to fill and stabilize some of the punky sapwood (that's the bit on the top horn in the second to last photo).

This was the first time I had seen or worked with koa, but I suspect not the last. It was an agreeable wood to work with, and the figure and grain is rather fetching.

Thanks for looking. All comments or critiques are welcome.
Isaac
Blackburn Tools - simply classic
Blog
I dearly love Koa but aside from being hard to get it is mondo spendy. I treasure the one board that I have.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Wow,....just wow!

Me likey some koa!
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
More eye candy!
David from Cleveland, Ohio
Sweet!!!!
Isaac, you never cease to impress.

Beautiful, per your usual standard.

Thanks for posting the pics.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Looks like art. But I know it would be a joy to use as well. Beautiful
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
The grain is wonderful, and I think the filled voids on the top really add some character.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
You used grain direction the way that the best of the gunstock makers do, to give strength along the lines of use, and generally with the flow of the design. That's beautiful work.
blockade said:

You used grain direction the way that the best of the gunstock makers do, to give strength along the lines of use, and generally with the flow of the design. That's beautiful work.

Indeed, the grain follows the design perfectly. That's what caught my eye too. Beautifull.