Need help from Military friends
I have a very good friend who will shortly have his formal ceremony elevating him from a Navy Captain to Rear Admiral. Clearly it's a pretty big deal to become a flag officer. In addition to attending the ceremony I'd like to get him a commomorative gift or possibly make something for him. I just don't know what might be fitting.

Any ideas of what would be appropriate from those who have served?
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
A small (18-24" diameter) wooden wheel styled after the sailing ships would be great, especially if you built it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I like Brad's idea - with brass plaque inscribed with official date/time of rank.

If you can - get his midshipman's cap or 1st class A cap from when he was an ensign and build a display box for it. If not the hat then something from when he was an ensign or 1st joined the Navy.

If you can't do anything else, get his 1st shoulder boards (or new equivalent) and his new ones and make a nice display. If you don't like the shoulder board idea then his 1st bar and 1st star.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It's more appropriate for retirement vs. a promotion, but many of us vets have our ribbons, medals and / or patches from prior units displayed in a shadow box.

Another idea is a traveling chest of some sort, where he can store personal goods while afloat. Admirals have a bit more space in their on-board quarters than the rest of the crew.

I too, like the idea of a captain's wheel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is he Surface Warfare, Submarine, Aviation, Medical or Supply? What type of Command is he going to? Might be able to get some ideas on something appropriate with a little more info. If he is say, Aviation and not a ship driver, a ships wheel might not be the best thing.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Allen said:

Is he Surface Warfare, Submarine, Aviation, Medical or Supply? What type of Command is he going to? Might be able to get some ideas on something appropriate with a little more info. If he is say, Aviation and not a ship driver, a ships wheel might not be the best thing.

Al

This sounds like a great thought to me. I don't have a clue what would be appropriate, but I betcha some retired Navy folks will come around soon with plenty of ideas.

I never knew only 160 could exist at one time
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Allen said:

Al

+1000
Find out which part of Navy he serves. Air head, Bubblehead, or hard core surface sailor.
Just kidding.
Really, what area did he serve? We as Navy, love our brotherhood, but still tease others in same branch that serve in different ways.
So find out which area. Aviation and specifically Pilot, or Submarines, Surface warfare ships, Air Craft carriers, Seals, etc......
Best way to start.
And God Bless for doing this.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
If you are or know someone who turns there are some very nice inlay pen blanks to be had. A high end pen with a Flag inlay for example, 59 separate pieces if I remember, is something that could be nice as well as something he could use and carry. Check around for military motifs. A nice pen and presentation box might work out.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I thought I replied to the question on what he did in the Navy - but it's not there. Odd, particularly as my buddy has worked in a number of areas, but most recently in intelligence.
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
Personally, I like the pen/desk set idea, especially with the Flag designation. Others seem to be more appropriate for retirement ceremonies.