Card scrapers.
LOML gave me some Veritas card scrapers and a Veritas burnisher as a gift a few months back, but other than trying them out on some scraps I haven't used them large scale until today. A couple of weeks ago she found an old solid wood 7 drawer dresser at a used furniture store for 30 bucks and brought it home. Project for the 15 year old boy because his Chinamart dresser had somehow turned into to a heap of broken particle board (did I mention he has a brown belt, could have something to do with that). Dresser looked tired but was sound. It had a thick sloppy coat of puke colored lumpy latex paint. I decided to teach the boy firsthand about how furniture restoration is a royal PITA. So after his introduction to dichloromethane/MEK/snot we found that under the puke colored latex was a layer of dark green lacquer, under that was a layer of stubborn white paint, and under that was stain/shellac. So we finally got all the layers stripped and I handed him the ROS and after a few minutes of instruction and warnings about fine dust, respirators, and keeping the vacuum on he went to work on the drawers. I decided to take the card scraper to the dresser. I have to say, I'm converted. Fast. Efficient. Beats the hell out of sanding. And smooth as can be. I did hit it with the sander afterwards, but I swear the sander roughed it up.

Oh, and once it was nude we decided this dresser was home shop built. Definitely not factory. Found a few goofs that the maker patched or left because it was on the inside. Completely table saw made. Corners rounded by hand. Some runner damage and a cracked side panel which I've already fixed. Somebody's handiwork from long ago is all set for a new life.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Alaric said:

... I decided to take the card scraper to the dresser. I have to say, I'm converted. Fast. Efficient. Beats the hell out of sanding. And smooth as can be. I did hit it with the sander afterwards, but I swear the sander roughed it up.

... Somebody's handiwork from long ago is all set for a new life.

A treasure, waiting to be found by YOU! KUDOS!!!

In case you need a little help sharpening the scrapers, here are some articles on scrapers (my blog). .

Three of the articles are of Christopher Schwarz at Woodworking in America 2008 (Berea, KY). I was allowed to film the events during the conference. I split the original video into 3 sessions, for easier watching.

Enjoy!

Al

If your would rather NOT go to my blog, I post the videos here - you will likely have to turn up the volume on your speakers or headset:

Scrapers, Part 1.

Scrapers, Part 2.

Scrapers, Part 3.
Blog: Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Frank Klausz, to The Schwarz (WIA 2010): "...If YOU guys keep doing what you’re doing, this thing is not gonna die..."
Sharpening those scrapers is the hardest part, and it really isn't difficult.

Every once in a while, we learn a new/old trick. It's rather cool.
patriarch said:

Sharpening those scrapers is the hardest part, and it really isn't difficult...

True!

How I found out: I had a poor-quality burnisher, but it went in the trash when I received the one from Czeck Edge. It was easy from there on!

Al

Edit to add these two images:

the Czeck Edge burnisher is in the background:

And the scraper in use:
Blog: Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Frank Klausz, to The Schwarz (WIA 2010): "...If YOU guys keep doing what you’re doing, this thing is not gonna die..."
I don't use a burnisher -- and like the scraper much better without it
Dogs Understand Why We Ride

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

A Nation Of Sheep Breeds An Administration Of Wolves

Leave a good footprint -- you may only pass that way once.

PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE

RocketRod said:

I burnish them with my teeth.
"These new regulations are going to fundamentally change the ways in which we try to avoid them" 

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Uhuh....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a round and an oval burnisher. Usually use the round one. I used to use a 1/2" drill bit that was only used for burnishing,never been in a chuck.
All three seem to work equally well. My grandfather used the tang on a file to burnish.
Whatever works is fine .
mike
RocketRod said:

I'm gonna guess you have never used a properly burnished scraper.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
It is still hit and miss for me with scrapers. I can't seem to consistently get a good burr. Maybe I just need more practice.