Strategy for hardware...........how to organize
You might want to check your local Ace Hardware. Some of the stores, in their fastener section, have very similar storage of small one-of-a-kind parts.
Dave
Regarding the HF storage bins, I got a flyer in the mail today where item 93928

has a coupon for $5.99
It expires 10/31. Limit 9.
Well, it's a RENEWAL NOTICE, ACTION REQUIRED!! flyer. It's headed back to the recycle bin so I guess there's not gonna be much action on my part...LOL.

Edit to add that I also got an email from them today with a bunch of Super Coupons and the same coupon is in there.
I've been meaning to get a couple of pictures done, so here they are...

This is the Plano storage rack. 1/2" carcass and 1/4" shelves. Plenty strong. Sized for double Plano 3750s or single 3730s.

Quick access hardware is in tilt bins. They never seem to all get back stowed at the same time. I like these as if you get a new screw size, you can just tilt out the bins and move them over one column. You can see I have some medium ones on the bench still looking for a home. I tend to collect wayward tilt bins and acro bins.

And for the ultra cheap among us, scrap melamine and glad storage containers. Surprisingly effective. This is my drill bit organizer. I might have about $10 in this, if that. You can see the p-touch labels curling. Some plastics don't like to stick to anything. That's good because I use the lids for mixing glue. That's bad, because the labels keep falling off.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mr_Mike said:

I find the p-touch labels peel from most plastics and I sometimes resort to sharpies.

Brother makes TZ Extra Strength Adhesive labels that stick to plastic. Even works in my unheated garage.

Steve
[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

This is the Plano storage rack. 1/2" carcass and 1/4" shelves. Plenty strong. Sized for double Plano 3750s or single 3730s.

[url=http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/Michael_In_California/media/woodworking/IMG_6362_zps0a99bb67.jpg.html]

Thanks for posting. I like that and glad to see that 1/4 ply is enough. On the other hand those tilt out bins look appealing.

Steve
Tilt outs can get expensive pretty quick.

I bought my original ones at about $10/row or maybe a little more.

Then, either HD or Lowes started carrying them and I got quite a few at a really good price. Then I couldn't find them there anymore.

Now, I just pick them up at garage sales.

I've never bought a akro-bin in a retail establishment. I picked up a lot at a industrial business moving sale including the 2x3' metal slot panels.

I also bought about 50 bins at a military surplus store. These are like 3x3" with lids. I've sold or traded over half of them away, but I got them for like $0.25 each. I'vve got many akro-bins I passed on a box full a couple of months ago. I should have bought and resold them.

Even with all of this, I'm still not organized.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I am still working on DeCluttering but is better than it was.
Here is what I have on one of my Walls.
I like plastic jars! To be specific, peanut butter jars. Peanuts and related products are also sold in large round & square plastic jars - they work good for larger items.

There are several advantage! 1) Low cost (especially if you were going to toss them in the garbage! 2) You can see what's inside the jar, 3) non-breakable, 4) a good excuse to buy more goodies!

(Click on the image for larger view)

I have several different types of shop storage methods. For construction screws I use peanut butter jars with lid labels, stored in a drawer. Would love to own something fancy, but you will probably find that is unrealistic - much easier to live close to a good hardware store
-Don
I have two of these boxes and they are fantastic, would love to find some more (on the cheap):

I also have a number of the boxes that JDuke has built a great cabinet for storage. Originally these were made by Zag (fantastic), then Stanley (ok) and now I have a couple of the HF ones.

Quote:

looks like it might be possible to construct a carcass where the HF box literally becomes a drawer instead of resting on a shelf.

The HF boxes do not lend themselves to this solution as they do not have a "lip" that runs the full length of the box (anymore, the Stanleys and Zags do). Also the corner has a little bump from the manufacturing process that would get in the way of sliding the box into/out of a cabinet runner.

A 1/4" shelf solution would suffice.
~Dan.
KC7CN said:

I like that. That is also more in line with my ideas about the limit of hardware storage. Clutter expands to fill the space you will give it.

I should mention that I hang on to biscuit jars - they are square and nest nice on a shelf. Problem is I don't go through biscuits very fast.

Quote:

Would love to own something fancy, but you will probably find that is unrealistic - much easier to live close to a good hardware store

+1
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan