Saw till work in progress
Pat Zabrocki said:

I'm assuming that the front rail, just above the drawer openings will be where the top horn of the saw handles will rest. Have you tested a saw there yet. I've built a few tills and it looks to me like you will need to have that rail a little taller.

I just looked at mine and I think I have my "lean angle" greater than yours so you're probably okay.
cheers
pat

Yes, it's 2" tall currently, and that leaves me approximately 1/2" of clearance to the lower horn on my largest saw - my D8 Thumbhole.

I'm considering redoing it though - Thinking about notching each saw handle location. Not really necessary, but it would look neat.
starfish said:

[blockquote]Pat Zabrocki said:

I'm assuming that the front rail, just above the drawer openings will be where the top horn of the saw handles will rest. Have you tested a saw there yet. I've built a few tills and it looks to me like you will need to have that rail a little taller.

I just looked at mine and I think I have my "lean angle" greater than yours so you're probably okay.
cheers
pat

Yes, it's 2" tall currently, and that leaves me approximately 1/2" of clearance to the lower horn on my largest saw - my D8 Thumbhole.

I'm considering redoing it though - Thinking about notching each saw handle location. Not really necessary, but it would look neat.

[/blockquote]

This height will not only be dependent on how large the saw is, but the hang and style of handle as well. When I was figuring mine out, It had a height that worked great for all of my full side and panel saws, but when I threw my DT and carcass saw on it, the bottom horn contacted the floor before seating on the rail.
~ Chris
cwarner said:

[blockquote]starfish said:

[blockquote]Pat Zabrocki said:

cheers
pat

[/blockquote]

This height will not only be dependent on how large the saw is, but the hang and style of handle as well. When I was figuring mine out, It had a height that worked great for all of my full side and panel saws, but when I threw my DT and carcass saw on it, the bottom horn contacted the floor before seating on the rail.

[/blockquote]

Good point! I'll certainly check this when I get home tonight. I have a 12" Disston D4 and an Adria DT saw... I don't believe either has an extreme hang to speak of...
some of my Atkins saws with the Perfection handles would certainly need more room, so very good point about the particular handle and the hang. i was looking at those very saws when I made my original comment.
pat
Pat Zabrocki said:

some of my Atkins saws with the Perfection handles would certainly need more room, so very good point about the particular handle and the hang. i was looking at those very saws when I made my original comment.
pat

I have an Atkins No. 53. I'll certainly check it out too!
Jeff,

I'm impressed with your joinery in SYP. I grew up with the stuff and remain convinced that your dovetails are next to impossible. Great job and nice till.

Hank
Well, y'all were right... Not enough height on the handle apron for my DT and Carcase saw... So I redid it. It actually turned out better than the first. I used the existing Dovetail locations and added a smaller one on top.

And here's just a quick check of the smaller saw fit.

Really looking good, nice job, I like it. This has been on my bucket list for some time now, need to get busy and "just do it".

Steve
Ok, here's the latest... glued up, all joints planed flush, back installed and filled with saws.

Next step is a couple of slotted stretchers and a coat of paint. Drawers after that.
Coat of paint??? And hide the nice joinery you did?

Besides, saw tills tend to get scratched up a good bit. Paint will show that more than a nice stain or coat of BLO.

I think you have done a good job, by the way. Nice till!
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com