Chainsaw and bowl blank prep
Another clip from me, and will have one up on bandsaws soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3s6aN9REIY

robo hippy
Informative. Thanks.
Great video ! Everyone should see this even if they have been cutting blanks for a while, it was good!
Thank You!
Steve K

Very good video.

Thanks
Robo,

You sportin those new see-through chaps????? ha ha!!!!

Nice video, thanks for making it and sharing.
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
Wind Shakes (ring shakes) refer to separation between annual rings. Heart checks radiate from the juvenile wood at the heart.

Wind shakes should be considered a fatal flaw, because there is no assurance that glue will hold them together as you turn. Eastern hemlock, shown here, is (in)famous for wind shakes.

Those trying for maximum capacity over the bed can use their bandsaw to remove the little corners that might catch on their lathe. With the chainsaw undercut method, they can even do it for blanks thicker than the depth capacity of their saw. Over the bed doesn't make any difference to you guys with the huge iron, though.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very informative.
Dang MM, maybe we agree here for once. I didn't pick up that I called it ring shake till after it was edited. The picture you show is an excellent example of ring shake. I do think wind shake is different, but just about every log I have ever cut up has some checking off the pith.

robo hippy
Well, anyone COULD look it up.

http://forestry.about.com/od/foresthealt...-Shake.htm

Always helps to speak the same language if you're looking to communicate. Even if the wind doesn't cause wind shake. Imagine that hemlock being troubled by the wind when it's set around with spruce and a foot and a half at the base?

Heart checks are part of the maturing process. Heartwood is always dryer than sapwood - a LOT dryer if you look at the sapwood checks on the piece you're cutting in the clip. It opens up a bit as it contracts. I personally think neglected heart checks account for a lot of new turners' frustration with green wood. That, and broad bottoms.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.