Remote for 3HP Dust Collector
Guys, this is a great post and I've finally reached the point where I'd like to add a remote to my collector. It is an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with a 3hp motor. I'm reasonably ignorant about all things electrical, but I believe the switch is magnetic. Can you clarify that the installation of a remote is a bit more involved for this type of switch? I assume some modification is necessary to the switch itself? Really excellent info here and the write up on Dominic's website is first class.
Thank you!
It's really not...that's what my remote is on (SDG). Step one: cut the wires to the Oneida switch and offer it for sale to someone (or just disconnect it, mine is still sitting in a drawer somewhere). Step 2) Follow Dom's instructions!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred. That seems easy enough . So there is no need to worry about the overload settings within the switch? As you know mine is a used system and fortunately worked without any adjustment, but I did notice the mention of the controls in the owners manual.
I didn't, and having to use that mag switch with the remote is a real PITA. Defeats the purpose of the remote.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
OK I will post now that the realization that overload is lost in this design and that you can do a lot more. I like the basic-ness of this design but it really could be more robust for the size DCs some folks have.

Wireless remotes are not either or with the use of a mag switch. A mag switch is typically a contactor and an overload relay in a box with some push buttons built in.

I built a remote setup for my 5hp cyclone about 5 years ago (obviously not using this design but a similar principle) and I used my remote setup's relay to close the coil on the contactor and overload relay I had already on my system. My cyclone reuses a Delta LVC box - they are very robust setups and very versatile.

I did not want to give up the overload (that uses heaters on mine) like the design shown in this thread is showing.

If you have a Mag Switch already on your machine, chances are you have a overload relay and a significantly more robust contactor setup than the one used here. Bypassing it is going in the wrong direction IMO.

Use the design shown here (or replace this design's contactor with a relay as the coil on a contactor requires very little amperage) and just close the COIL on the contactor setup you already have. Wire it in parallel and you can use the remote OR the stop and start buttons.

Once you understand the principles of how this works, you can also wire in things like Estops, lights showing power is on to your DC (flashing light tower etc), and nicer features like Blast gate solenoids and split core current transformers that will just turn on your DC when you turn the machine on. If you have a can for dust collection like in a cyclone, you can also build a bin sensor that alerts you when your DC bin is full, shut it off if you want to, and keeps you from overflowing it. Even more stuff can be wired in to control the coil like switches that use a wifi connection and are able to be controlled via an app on your phone through the internet.

Once you remove the requirement of high amperage flowing through the device (ie use the contactor to do the high amperage work and the fun switches to control the coil) you can really come up with some creative automation solutions.

Take some time and read up on contactors and how they are wired and why they work the way they do. Make yourself a bench setup so you can test and fully understand what you are doing. Latching switches like the remote are very different than momentary switches like typically used on a mag switch so realize the effects on the coil when trying to stop a machine started with a remote but trying to be powered off with a push button. Be safe.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.