Remote for 3HP Dust Collector
You only "switch" the the 2 hot legs, so the 2 pole is what is needed. 3 pole would be for 3 phase.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
cool thanks.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
fredhargis said:

It's actually better than that: you can make a remote that will last a very, very long time. About the only thing that will fail is the cheap light switch; I mentioned earlier that I keep an extra on hand (I use much cheaper switches) and simply change it out. Plus, if you have a large motor (mine is 5HP) you can get the contacter large enough to mage the higher loads, which is where some of the ready-to-use models fall a little short. That box (6x6x4) is the one I used. BTW, folks with 120V DC's can do this as well and save money. I set up a 120V unit for my HVLP sprayer and I think I spent less than $25 for everything on it. The 120V contacters are about $10 on e bay. Here's a 240V model for $12.

Thanks for the link on the Contactor. I'm going to update my original reply to include that one so I have a record of it.

Talk to me about the RF light switches and the remote. From the response I got, it looks like the one I chose was not exactly the right one. Can you give me an idea on what is the type YOU would use?
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Just_Dave said:

Fred's idea is very good idea. However if you have a starter on your cycle you don't need a contactor. All you need is a relay rated for the proper voltages.
The relay contacts are wired into the start circuit on the starter and you are up and running. I used a commercial gate open/close wireless receiver and a relay to control mine. I've used it for 6 or 7 years now without a hitch. I think I've replaced the batteries in the remotes maybe twice. Speaking of remotes they come with a clip so a guy could get away with one as long as you can track of it. I've got 4 or 5 remotes scattered around the shop that way I'm never looking for where I left it last.

Thanks for this, Dave. I do have a mag starter for my cyclone which is functioning just fine. Actually, I only really started using it once the remote failed earlier this year.
Just adding one more option: after an earlier such thread, I bought a power relay that switches 240V power like that above, but using a 12 v coil.

Then I ran 12 v lines and wired in a switch near each tool that allows me to turn the DC on or off from anywhere in the shop without finding a remote. Because it's 12 v, you don't need permit or inspection, no matter how restrictive your local rules. (I did label the switchplates 12V to avoid confusion later.)

You need DPDT switches to allow any switch flip to turn the DC on or off, explained here.
The selection of RF Wireless Switches at Home Depot seems like of spotty. So I went and looked on Amazon

This one looks VERY interesting. And it's a 12V version

Heavy Duty Universal Remote Control Kit for $18.49

This one looks like it'd work and it's 120V

KEDSUMĀ® Wireless 1 Way ON/OFF Digital Remote Control Switch 110V For All Lights K06 for $11.49

Both of these look like they are suited for this job (as long as you use the right one with the correct Contactor).

Right?
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Here's the remote I'm using right now. With mine the receiver plugs into the wall, and then a lamp cord goes from the outlet on it to the coil. The second one you linked should work, I think. The receiver on that one has me scratching my head. I think it would go (hard wired) between the power source and the coil on the contacter. For the low voltage one won't you need to add a 12V power source to keep the coil energized?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Hehe. I use the same one for my shop vac.
+1 on the Penn State long Ranger. Works great on my 3hp 220 volt DC. I bought extra remotes for each tool.
Made mine about 8-10 years ago for about $50.00
Dennis Peacock over on SMC made one and furnished a diagram how to do and what to buy.
Occasionally a I have to replace a battery in one of the remotes ( I have 4-5 of them) but it's worked super.
This is basically the same principle setup as Fred is showing/telling about.
Steve

Missouri

Ā 
The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020