A Watch Box (finished with pics)
I rarely make things that are solely for ME.
I have been acquiring wrist watches for several years. This year i went looking for a proper box to put my "collection" in. I couldn't find anything i would even remotely consider buying. Commercial boxes were either outright trash, or they just weren't a satisfying configuration. Eventually, i realized i should just make myself one.

I wanted to make something ostentatious yet intimate.
I normally make large scale furniture....beds, chests, etc.
I really enjoy inlay, veneering, and finishing. Details are my favorite part of woodworking. As a result, this was pretty fun to make.

The box is constructed from many woods including:
-curly Honduran mahogany (shop sawn 1/8" veneer)
-Gabon ebony
-Holly (in shop made inlays)
-Crotch Mahogany veneer (1/42 veneer)
-Baltic Birch ply

The medallion is a commercial medallion from Digitalwood.
It is called Aldebaran.
The medallion includes:
-purpleheart
-wenge
-bubinga
-Doug Fir
-Walnut

The hardware is Brusso except for the lock. It is a gold plated humidor lock.

The finish is Nitrocellulose lacquer (Behlen's Qualalac). The outside is gloss and the inside is satin.

The box holds 12 watches, 11 pens, assorted pocket knives, rings, watch straps, and watch tools.

Yes i realize this is a handy carrying case should a thief chose to come in my home. I choose not to concern myself with such thoughts...that's what insurance riders are for.

I am quite pleased with the outcome.
This is as close to perfect as i can do.

I find it incredibly difficult to photograph curl on a gloss piece. This photo shows the mahogany in all of its splendor.

-Wayne

Close to perfect?

PERFECT!!!!

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Woah!!! Outstanding! That box is absolutely beautiful, and you hit your goal of being ostentatious.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Just stunning. You nailed it.

Best Regards,
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Stunning................
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
One of the nicest boxes I have seen posted in a very long time.
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw
Spectacular!
I can't seem to find the right words, Wayne. Absolutely beautiful!

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Absolutely stunning, belongs in a museum.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
That is beautiful! Can you describe how you made those little white Xs? That little detail is awesome.

Paul