A Watch Box (finished with pics)
atgcpaul said:

[blockquote]loosetoe said:

I will post a few construction pics below to give you a feel for how it is made.

This is how the pierced diamonds are made. A square of holly gets a 1/16" cut in the center. That is filled with ebony. Little pieces are cut off of the ends. The trick is that the end MUST be face grain, not end grain. End grain will muddy with sanding and finish. SO...I used a 16" wide piece of Holly. Yes, you read that right. I cut 2" off of the end and made 8 sticks of this. I have a lot of these for the future.

Wayne, thanks for posting the pics. Do you use a 1/16" router bit for that groove?

Again, amazing work!

Paul

[/blockquote]

You certainly could. I used a slot cutter since that is what I had available. A skil saw blade would also work on the table saw.

These are 3/8" squares. If you go larger, make a bigger kerf.

I am certain I am not the first person to use this inlay, but i can honestly say that I imagined them and just instinctively knew how to make them. Once I saw them "come to life" I realized they were a classic shape.
Wayne, absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing and posting construction pics. Curious, how long were you working on the project and do you have any ideas regarding hours involved?
ephmynus said:

Wayne, absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing and posting construction pics. Curious, how long were you working on the project and do you have any ideas regarding hours involved?

I started the box in October. I don't recall how much time I spent. I recall doing all the inlays in one marathon 5 hour session. The last 3 weeks were spent spraying lacquer.

A lot of time was spent waiting on glue to dry.
Beautiful work!
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

Wow! You said you like details - I believe. That is some incredible work and the result is truly outstanding.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I think you hit the "as close to perfect" nail right on the head. I can really appreciate how you took this box to the "next level" and then some. This is one of the most highly detailed projects I've seen on this forum in quite some time.

Outstanding!
Holy Smoke! Spectacular!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Big Dave said:

I can't seem to find the right words, Wayne. Absolutely beautiful!

I too am at a loss for words! That is a spectacular piece!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Phenomenal work!
As Always,
Gecko
http://www.geckosboxes.com