Yet another belt sharpener...
Thanks Jack,

I remember drooling over it when you bought yours.

Did you ever consider the Kalamazoo ones without the motor and adding your own variable speed one?

Steve
Steve, I have thought about that...But they are so easy for me to make {actually any competent woodworker can do it} ..When I am feeling up to it, I enjoy working on them...when I don't, I sit at the computer!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a shop built 1x 42 sander but have been building a more robust model in my head for years. What is the advantage of a 2 X72" grinder
over a 48" belt?
The main advantage IMO is longer belt life, but the work stays cooler also, because of a longer belt...But heat has never been a problem for me..I cool the steel frequently. The disadvantage could be that the machines require more power and usually have a bigger footprint.

The longer belt "square wheel" machines usually have more "accessories" available for them. And it seems more types of belts are more plentiful in that size.

I just ordered a pack of ten A/O 2"X72" for 20 bucks {shipping included} from an Ebay dealer....I have bought belts from this company before so I think the German belts will be pretty good. They sell many sizes and types.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bump for more goodness
chris
In regard to the steel versus aluminum platen... I haven't seen any ill effects of using aluminum yet. If you're setup to mill / cut steel, great. Since, aluminum can be readily machined with woodworking tools I'd go that route again. If you needed to rebuild the platen in 3-5 years, big deal.

I mailed off a superstructure to Jack, he was going to add his bearings and rework the lever, but I haven't heard if he has worked on it yet.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Quote:

I mailed off a superstructure to Jack, he was going to add his bearings and rework the lever, but I haven't heard if he has worked on it yet.

Mark, I have all the necessary parts but just not the mojo I need to get moving on it..I did ship my prototype to Arlin so he can finish the construction when he gets the time. And I still plan to complete the one you sent me, then ship it off to a needy woodnetter. Somebody's going to be real happy with it!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

pitty bump
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

You're a mean man!!!!!! .....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hey all,

I've been playing with AutoDesk Fusion 360 recently. It's a 3D modeler that stores files in the cloud.

F360 will import the files from the belt sharpener i did in SolidWorks, except for the drawings of course. I'll see if the drawings will import. I would be surprised if they did.

If anyone is interested in playing with the model, I will import them into F360 and then make the files public.

Lemme know.
chris