Yet another belt sharpener...
Just position the block of wood {tool rest} close to the wood being turned and take light cuts..it works very well as a makeshift lathe.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Cletus and Timberwolf,

Thanks for sharing this. I have been on the lookout for a vintage 1" belt sander but I might go this route instead.

Were you able to buy the aluminum angle in a relatively short length? It seems like the shortest pieces I see sold are about 4 ft long.

Someone mentioned a tool rest but I did not see one in the pics. Maybe I missed something.

A horizontal bar mounted at the correct height above the belt might make a good tool rest. An eclipse-style roller jig could be used to hold a chisel, and the horizontal bar could serve as a guide for the front of the roller jig while the chisel rides on the belt. I don't think I would trust myself to free-hand it yet.
Steve
You can see the tool rest in the first and third pictures. Is just a piece of the angle iron I cut a relief in so I could get a knife right to the edge of the belt. If you only sharpened chisels and such, you might not need to relieve it.

I didn't look around to find shorter lengths, Tractor supply had it in 4' lengths. I'll measure it tonight, but I think you could get by with 2'... maybe less if you shortened up the base... I wasn't shopping price, I bought everything last Friday with the plans to get it done, with that said, I think the angle iron was only $12.00.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Thanks for copying this to here!

I like it, it shows simplicity in function and design, a sure clue that the person making it had put a lot of thought into it prior to building.

Thanks a ton to both of you. Once my shop is cleared up a bit, one of these designs will definitely get a home.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thanks for clarifying the tool rest. I was looking for a type of adjustable platform (like on a bench grinder) in the pictures.

I will have to shop around a bit for my angles. I was just looking at a piece of 2x2x3/16, 4 ft long, steel angle at the local hardware store a few days ago, and it was about $40. It looks like your pieces are aluminum, so I will consider that also.
Steve
Tear out said:

Thanks for clarifying the tool rest. I was looking for a type of adjustable platform (like on a bench grinder) in the pictures.

I will have to shop around a bit for my angles. I was just looking at a piece of 2x2x3/16, 4 ft long, steel angle at the local hardware store a few days ago, and it was about $40. It looks like your pieces are aluminum, so I will consider that also.

Sorry, I was thinking "platen" when you said "tool rest". An adjustable tool rest would be an easy addition, looking at the pics I can see a place to mount it, it would basically sit above the idler pulley. I won't mount it, because I don't have a use for one. But I'll whip one up so you can see what it would look like. I'll note the (optional) mounting location in the drawing.
Mark

Heres a video of one type of blade jig..I have it on my LoRay commercial belt sharpener..It's just a simple thing, best suited to knives rather than WW tools...

Just click on missing plug-ins...I'm having trouble with Flash Player..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGhGDRHQZM

Here's the Sungold set-up...I can't stand the way the guy demonstrating it "up speaks" so I just mute him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurfMUE5ZG0

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

best suited to knives rather than WW tools...

I'm thinking of an angled rest that comes with a bench grinder...

Like this?

Mark

Check your local Habitat for Humanity or metal salvage yard for motors and scrap metal...I bought a seven ft. piece of 3 1/2" square aluminum column support for about five bucks..Ripped what I needed on my bandsaw and made my own aluminum angle..No point is buying new stock..Aluminum is easy to cut on a bandsaw using a wood cutting blade..just wear safety goggles...

OR...keep in mind that most metal parts on this design could very simply be made out of a hard wood {like an exotic} and work just as well...and it may even be easier for some to make it that way..sizes are not critical...just use what you have, it's not rocket science..

I may be able to supply drive wheels and idlers later when I get my mojo back!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

That may work very well...But I would make the top out of hard wood and cut a dado in it for various jigs to ride in {sorta like the LV tool rest} A guide would keep the edge square to the belt...Keep in mind that the idler wheel could be used to put a hollow grind on tools if your jig and tool rest will allow it...The tool rest could also be made out of round stock like the Tormek and would be very versatile {like Derek made for his bench grinder.. I always liked that idea}

Lots of ways to skin that cat...

Get off my lawn !
Upset