Yet another belt sharpener...
Is there a reason the motor could not be located on the other side to avoid the dust issue?

Another option, and I am no expert, but some motors could have their rotation reversed by switching some wire connections in the motor.
Steve
Tear out said:

Is there a reason the motor could not be located on the other side to avoid the dust issue?

Another option, and I am no expert, but some motors could have their rotation reversed by switching some wire connections in the motor.

I reversed the rotation on this motor so the belt would run away from the user.

I turned and sanded the drive wheel on the motor, last night I blew the dust off it. I'll see what kind of build up I get using it normally. I don't think it is much of an issue.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

doobes said:

This looks like a better idler:

$13 from Amazon

It will require a 17mm bolt. Is that a show stopper?

I was wondering about this…has anyone found a solution to this? 17 mm bolts are not readily available…
Edit: I notice that in the original post, Cletus is using a Gates 36091 idler wheel, which also appears to be 17 mm. Cletus, can you tell us what you did for the bolt? Thanks!
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com
It's the standard for automotive pulleys... Carquest, Napa, etc. will have them in stock.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

It's the standard for automotive pulleys... Carquest, Napa, etc. will have them in stock.

OK, thanks!
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com
Okay,

I've finally gotten a chance to sit down and detail all this.

I have not built it, so there may be some "issues".

Have a look:

Belt Sharpener Drawings

If I've buggered anything up, please let me know and I'll fix it.

cheers,
chris
214.66 lbs? What size motor is minimum to get torque needed?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Quote:

No, the motor can be mounted on either side, but the "working side" of the belt must rotate away from the user..some motors can be wired to rotate in either direction...others cannot.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

doobes said:

Okay,

I've finally gotten a chance to sit down and detail all this.

I have not built it, so there may be some "issues".

Have a look:

Belt Sharpener Drawings

If I've buggered anything up, please let me know and I'll fix it.

cheers,

Had a revelation last night. I changed the pivot arm bolt to a shoulder screw.

New version uploaded.

Ignore the weight. The motor is modeled as a solid steel body.....
chris
I have a very nice 1/6th hp motor {1725rpm} and plan to use it for a sharpener I have under construction. I'm confident it has plenty of power for a drive wheel of 2" diameter or smaller. Ideal would be a TEFC motor of 1/4 to 1/3hp.

This design could be "upscaled" to drive a "2" X 42" belt very easily if a 1/3hp motor was available. However, I haven't found a good source for that size belt in all the grit sizes available in the 1" X 30" size.

Another comment....It is also possible to use a skate board wheel for the idler if you make the necessary modifications. and I have one that uses sealed ball-bearings {sandwiched together} for the idler..{they are less than $1.50 each from an ebay dealer}..You may also buy them locally. The diameter is not really too important...use whatever works for you.

The wood drive wheel can be epoxied to the motor shaft if you dont have a tap to thread it...but be sure to drill and tap the END grain if you are going to use a set-screw. It does not have to be oak, it can be any hard wood, but the harder, the better. Aluminum would be ideal. And it does have to be slightly crowned to make the belt run true. Crowning can be done right on the motor shaft, using the motor like you would a lathe. Be sure to improvise a steady rest...it can be just a scrap block of wood the correct height.

Tracking for the sharpener is achieved by skewing the motor..one adjustment is all that's required...once the belt tracks in the center, tighten the motor down..It will hold that adjustment.

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset