Zoetrope
A zoetrope is an animation toy that literally translates to "life turning." While I had many challenges on this build, I have to say is it easily one of my favorite creations. I have a particular fondness for toys....

In order to make it, I needed 8 slits in the top. I devised many solutions for cutting these, but none seemed really practical to get 8 evenly cut slits. That was until I realized I could easily cut them on the radial arm saw.

After the cuts were made it was off the the lathe, after a quick stop at the band saw to knock off the corners. My main worry was that the wedges would de-lamiate from the block due to the turning. I took very light cuts with the bowl gouge and tried my best to not get a catch.

Hollowing was done with a square nose scraper, again to reduce the possibility of catches. It was slow going but after about 20 minutes I had it hollowed out and the walls as thin as I was willing to go.

I used BLO for the finish. Most zoetropes are painted black on the outside to draw your eye to the animation. I really wanted to avoid that, and so I tried to just darken the wood a bit...

The zoetrope works really well and you can find lots of different animation strips online. You also can make your own if you have the skill!

Thanks for looking!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Neat project.

I see you're using the same Monkey Wards saw I own. Which is why I have to say I would not have had the courage to do those cuts on it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse said:

I see you're using the same Monkey Wards saw I own. Which is why I have to say I would not have had the courage to do those cuts on it.

That saw has me wanting to re-cant every nice thing I ever said about RAS's

The free 1978 Craftsman that I sold from my old shop was so much better!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Now that's a cool project! Another one in the idea hopper for this year's Christmas presents. Great job.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks great good winter project.
I bought mine in California as well. Used, but it was my only saw for almost ten years, until I could have a tablesaw. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to give it away so SWMBO will led me get a SCMS. Makes a pretty good overarm router, though.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Neat project and nicely done. Thanks for sharing it!
Steve K

Very cool. Did you see that on Reddit? I've been fascinated by those ever since I was a kid. What are the dimensions? Does it have to be very precise to get the effect?
badwhiskey said:

Very cool. Did you see that on Reddit? I've been fascinated by those ever since I was a kid. What are the dimensions? Does it have to be very precise to get the effect?

I keep a folder of ideas, and this was in there. I cannot recall where the idea came from!

The dimensions are 3" deep and 5" in diameter. I don't think that precision is hugely important, as one of my slots was off pretty bad. My only hangup was the wall thickness

I ended up beveling the inside slits like arrow slots in a tower. After that the animation was completely visible!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
What a great project,gona try one for my grand daughter,thanks Gene