Czeck Edge kits completed.
Finally finished a trio of kits using primarily gift wood (African Blackwood from my Secret Santa, though I did have to buy a little bit for the scratch awl handle since it was a bit fatter than the rest. Anyway, here's my trio of Czeck Edge kits nestled along with the marking knife I had purchased several years back (I think it's cocobolo).

Close-up of the burnisher (handle shape largely borrowed from Bob's site):

The birdcage awl (had a major error with the first attempt at this and had to cut the blade and ferrule free for a "do-over"):

I chose it's handle shape based on one that the Schwarz recommended once in his blog.

Finally, the most recent addition to the family, the scratch awl:

For this one I combined the sweep at the end of the other two with a knob similar to the one on my jack plane.

I know they are not perfect, but they were fun projects and good learning experiences. I really haven't turned all that much stuff, so every attempt is a lesson of some kind. The Blackwood is really nice, and my quick pictures don't really display the color and figure well. Bob's finished tools are very nice, but if, like me, you enjoy making your own handles, I encourage you to give it a try. The kits are affordable, the accompanying instructions are clear, and you can customize a matched set! The only thing I may yet do is to sand a flat onto opposite sides of each handle so as to keep them from rolling off the bench, but I admit I am reluctant to do so at this point.
Nice!
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
You've done a beautiful job with the turnings, and they all look tools to be proud of.

Ergonomically, however, consider swapping the handles on the awls.

See: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...geAwl.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks Derek. I actually looked at your posts and a number of others before settling on these designs. I may be learning the hard way, but we'll se what I think after using them a while. I like the "screwdriver-like" action of the birdcage awl so far, but I freely admit that I was influenced by your blog enough to think that a pen-like design is probably better for the scratch awl. The current scratch awl still nestles rather comfortably in the crook of my hand if held like a pencil, and I am yet to learn in which situations I will prefer the scratch awl over the marking knife.
Very nice!
.......... Nice job, great looking tools.

Steve
Handle shape mostly reflects the planned usage of the tool, in my opinion. For example, if you are using the scratch awl for sheet metal work, you need a more robust handle due to the forces required to adequately mark the metal, or at least more than would be required to mark wood. Many times, when a tinner needs a hole somewhere, rather than carrying a drill and bits, he will simply grab an awl and hammer and bang it through to the desired size, and sink a screw.

Conversely, many find the most appropriate usage for an awl is to perforate, wood, leather, or other materials. In that case, the rounded profile in the OP is very well suited. Much like a small carving tool, it rests comfortably and securely in the palm with the fingers wrapped and anchored on the shaft for control. (I think it's pretty, too).

My Klein scratch awl has been one of the most versatile tools I have ever had, but to be honest, in woodworking I seldom use one for any of these purposes, so go figure. I just use a handy nail or screw most times...

Maybe I need to use some of the 1/4" tool steel rod I have and make myself one to match the many marking knives I have been inspired by Derek to make. Then I would have a set, too. But, I'd get carried away and build a dozen, all with different shapes and sizes of handles.

Nice looking tools, especially the birdcage handle. I wouldn't have chosen the burnisher handle shape you did, but it would certainly work just as well...

Overall, very nice additions to your arsenal.

Doug Trembath
Nicely done; you put the Blackwood to good use to be sure!

The thing about the Blackwood is that photos don't do it justice - I like it out in sunlight - looks like it has swirls of gold powder mixed in it.

Classic lines on the turnings, well executed.

Dave B
Thanks Dave. I don't think I'd have gotten around to trying any blackwood anytime soon had you not sent it. What a treat it is to work and to enjoy once finished!
DaveBeauchesne said:

The thing about the Blackwood is that photos don't do it justice

SO true!!!
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne