My biggest WW project ever
Nice job.

I could not see it in the photos, have you put in a powered roof vent?

Fan-tastic's vents are very good and as I recall they move about 600 cfm, enough to turn the air at least once per minute.

I had that in my pickup truck and they make a huge difference in the flow of air, especially as they remove the air from the ceiling where the hot air accumulates.

The second battery you are going to install, I assume with be a deep cycle battery, isolated. That would be perfect for the fan's use. There are going to be plenty of warm nights ahead.

The risk of all this is that you get so busy perfecting the camper that you don't have time to use it. Enjoy.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We are headed to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc.

There is a MaxxAir fan with thermostat and remote control behind the cab. It does an excellent job. Fantastic senses rain and closes. MaxxAir can stay open in the rain.

Using it is a necessary part of the build process. Just passed 20,000 miles.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer said:

We are headed to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc.

There is a MaxxAir fan with thermostat and remote control behind the cab. It does an excellent job. Fantastic senses rain and closes. MaxxAir can stay open in the rain.

Using it is a necessary part of the build process. Just passed 20,000 miles.

That's the way to go. They even have ones that close automatically when it rains.
For a year and a half I looked at this:  

[Image: 2B4426F3-A459-46FB-BD1C-EAFBABD69002_zpsa9wtxexu.jpg]

I knew that eventually, the answer would come.  First step was the side pieces.  For the photo, I arranged them provacatively, but in place, they frame the eyesore with a projection that matches the metal. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of them in place by themselves.  

[Image: 11B162BE-BF3D-4829-85E7-F394A11093D6_zps75efkf0l.jpg]

I first tried to span them with luan, but even with steam, the curvature was too much and the luan cracked.  Fortunately, I was able to salvage the side pieces for a second attempt.  This time I remembered exhibits I had seen in the Gaudi museum in Barcelona.  I spanned with 1/8" lath cross-sections of Baltic Birch.  I could have gotten a smoother surface with pine, but I wanted the horizontal striations.  Here is the backside lathered in glue:

[Image: 70167983-13D8-45CD-92E6-4A2596FD9871_zpsxntdszcc.jpg]

Here is the front side shaped and painted.  I was tempted to play chicken and leave the edges square, but decided I would take the chance and sculpt them.  I'm really glad I did:

[Image: B2EF2F29-D28C-48F8-9B88-3A90E7E26DA0_zps8hwjqxif.jpg]

These show the profile which follows the curvature of the metal:

[Image: E9020E7C-CB13-4604-9688-3558E45BBCDC_zpsrxy12pyf.jpg]

and

[Image: D5E62688-CA08-42DA-864F-E86915177432_zpsxbnwbavv.jpg]

And here is what I look at now, at least til I get that last trim piece up, which should be a breeze.

[Image: AF32ECA7-E5CF-4C37-A6E0-C4DB162C15B4_zpsm0zi38u9.jpg]

The thermometer at the bottom used to attach directly to the metal with its magnets.  Now it is attracted to those honking magnets shown in the first photo.  The acrylic mirror wedged above it is sloped just right for applying sunscreen.

I assume I will do something similar on the other side by and around the door, but it will be more difficult.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

Cool
Cool

You do realize that when you have this thing finished, you will be expected to drive around the country showing it off to all the WN members.
Smile
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I am guessing that bragging rights in the camper community will scratch that itch.

Really nice work Carolyn.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
We loaded it to the gills, including 26 gallons of water for the desert. 6,900 pounds, still 1,500 pounds below GVR.

Finally got a wide-angle:
[Image: fa841d8015c99ac0d7364dabcfb28e15_zpsl4wzqhs9.jpg]
Carolyn

Looks fantastic, beautiful job, you should be very proud of it and will be the envy of other campers.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
The Ram Promaster, the Ford Transit and the Mercedes Sprinter all have stand up interiors (over 6 feet high).  

The local transportation companies use "mini-buses" with a fabricated roof line that allows stand up height.

[Image: 1990_GMC_Vandura_school_bus_NYS.jpg]

I have yet to see a single school bus based upon the Ram, the Transit or the Sprinter.  Is there something about the configuration that stands in the way of making this conversion?  I would think it would be a slam-dunk.  Instead of having to raise the roof and then add the interior, they only would have to add the interior.  

You have experience with the van.  Maybe you can shed some light.
PhotoFlubbers says all your pictures be mine.
If you rehost, you should consider doing a blog.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.