Ok...sharpening jigs
Hi Jim

If you want to build a desired honing guide, do so for a mortice chisel.

I have the Kell#1 with updated wheels. It creates too little area for holding the bevel end of a mortice chisel when set at 35 degrees. It can be done, but it tedious.

What I do is freehand a rounded bevel using Paul Seller's technique. My contribution is a block of wood with a 35 degree angle as a visual guide (saves setting up a sliding bevel each time).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,

I've used the Kell guide successfully for mortise chisels, but you need to use it upside down - as if it were an Eclipse guide - with the guide registered against the bevel side of the chisel. Might be an issue with yours because the back is rounded, but it works with my Ray Iles and Lie-Nielsen mortise chisels. Richard does make a guide for mortise chisels and one for skews, but I haven't tried either one.

I just received a set of the larger wheels from Richard Kell and planned to install them on the large jig. Interesting to see them on the small one.

Steve
Derek, you just gave me an idea based on what I'm working with. As the skew blades. They just slid right in and I went to work, no modification.

My LN skew was still unused so I just polished up a micro bevel. All very easy.

[/URL]

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.

Now that I've seen your jig, I think there are ways to get a thin mortise chisel to work with it, despite the rounded top edge.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Jim-

How about a narrow blade like the LV spokeshave-

or a similar blade with tangs at 90° to the blade?

Phil
Greg and Derek, I think I've got the mortise chisel problem covered. I need another morning to mill up a couple of fittings but it looks very promising.
One of those wixey angle cubes will work with this but with a predictable angle correction depending on the thickness of the blade.
I'll have to look up those LV blades and see if they list the dimensions. If not does anyone have one to measure? Less than three inches in length and at least 3/4" front to back 1" would be better and it should work.
Jim
Easy duzzit skews? I WANT one! Lemme know when ready for purchase.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Curt I wish I could say I'm making them, but I don't know yet. It was very satisfying doing those skews. The couple that I'm making are made from unubtainium, large chunks milled to size. Some of these pieces I'm milling I've had for years, and I've only got enough old boat shaft for the wheels for four more. It's the milling at this point that really makes them let's say expensive. So far I've not found a source to short cut production, but I'm working on it.
Jim
Quick and dirty, my LV low angle spokeshave blade is 51/64 from edge to back, 2" along the cutting edge, 2 21/64 along the back edge and the ears are 23/64 from the the back edge towards the cutting edge.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thanks Blackhat. Does anyone have the shave blade with the stud? Would you be willing to send it to me for about a week? I have to say I'm having way too much fun coming up with these things. I took on Derek's challange and will finish making the mortise chisel sharpener today. That one is pretty simple to make although again I used unubtainium. I will reveal that one tonight whether it works or not.
Jim