Ok...sharpening jigs
I've got a very early prototype of the plane iron/skew jig. One last bug being squashed. This will be one of the premier jigs, if not the ultimate for everyone. The attraction for me is the ability to handle a skewed iron with the same no nonsense ease that an Eclipse style jig brings to straight irons and bevel edged chisels.

Jim gave me permission to speak when I got the jig and has not rescinded it.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Sorry it's springtime in the boatyard but also adding more bling to the car project as that job winds down so my time for jigs has been almost nil. Here is where I stand now (and I was going to contact my the testers last night) after talking with Derek and a lot of thinking I'm doing another design. I had scribed a scale on the side of the one in the video based on erroneous assumptions. I really thought the movable wheels would compensate. It does work as it is but there was not a conveinient way to know the angle. So for that batch of jigs I'm cutting a slot in the top pressure plate to accommodate a Wixey angle guide, that will reference the bed itself for short blades or the blade if it is long enough. That solves that jigs problem at the moment but while I'm working on the new version (which will reference the cutting edge of the blade and enable an accurate scale from 20 to about 35 degrees) I've been hesitant to send this one out, knowing I have a newer one in the works. Not really sure what to do with it. I've got four left they might show up in S&S but I don't know if I'll make any more unless what I'm working on has some objectionable traits once I get it in 3D. Hang in there.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Oooh, an improvement! Worth the wait!

The angle boxes make setting an angle simple and repetitively correct. When I suggested it to you over a month ago, I had a feeling there would be a way to extend the bottom plate further out the back for reference, but it wouldn't be needed for long blades, as they would stick out the back far enough on their own for using the angle box.

Nice to hear you have an idea on implementing it after talking to Derek. Your designs up to now have been great, this can only be an improvement.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I agree with Greg. As anxious as I am to get one of these, I'll happily wait for the new and improved version.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Bump for a good thread.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Thanks for the bump Martin.
So here is an update. I've got a patent pending on the jig as of March and I had a public debut at the woodworking show in Saratoga called 'Showcase'. I think I had a really good show of interest and I've got a list of interested buyers. At the moment I've got nothing to sell however. I raffled off two jigs at the show so now I'm in the process of making four more as soon as they are finished I'll be getting CAD drawings done, then it's off to find someone to make a bunch of them.
While all that is going on I will be offering a jig to the WoodNet community to try for a while and then send on to h next person on the list. The details will be worked out later as I finish a jig.
Oddly enough I don't have a good photo of the jig I can post this morning but I will this evening.
Let me thank my three beta testers Dave, Greg and Derek they helped me sort out some of the bugs. Perhaps they can offer their opinion of the jig on this continuing thread.
Jim
Congratulations on the Patent Pending! Folks are now warned not to do ripoffs.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I am happy ro offer my opinion. This jig rocks!!! I've used it for normal plane irons, skewed irons, square chisels, Spokeshave irons, skew chisels and pretty much anything else I could find. It excels at almost everything. The "regular" jig only has an issue with pig stickers, which is why Jim designed the other jig. I can also tell you that virtually everyone that looked at it at Showcase loved it. I even brought Garrett Hack over to check it out. Garrett doesn't use jigs, but even he said it was a very well designed jig. When Jim is ready to send a couple of these out for testing, I recommend getting on the list.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Thanks Dave, I'm just worried that people won't want to send it along to the next person, LOL. As I recal you had a little panic attack when I needed the one you have back for an upgrade or some such thing, I can't remember why exactly.
Jim
I have one of the almost final versions, I think, (traded Jim for some tools) and it's a vast improvement over a lot I've used. Highly recommended.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis